Stupid mistake has cost me a engine rebuild.

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
Hi guys I have some how managed to ruin my topend.
I went out on a ride the other day, and half way through the ride it started to rain real hard lots of mud.

The bike was running fine and did not think twice about it, the bike was due for a new clutch so I fitted some new clutch plates and went to start it up and first thing I noticed was a drop in compression, and the bike did not want to fire. On closer inspection I heard a slight grinding like grit in the topend when I turned the engine over.

So I tried to pull off the expantion chamber to look up the port expantion chamber was not coming off to begin with so I applied more force, I ended up smashing myself in the mouth with the expantion chamber and splitting my lip :coocoo:
I noticed some scoring on the piston and also on the barrel.
So I drained the oil first and thier was some metal dust in the oil.
Im not sure how I caused this, Either installing the new clutch plates, carnt see how though. Airfilter doeant look like it got wet either. One mistake I did make was I forgot to install my pipe plug before hoseing it down and I think I may of washed some dirty gritty water down through my exhaust and into my topend. Does that sound possible?
Also can anyone tell me the best way to flush the bottom end out?
Thanks
Andy

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I'd once washed out the bottom end of a 125 with gasoline turning the bike upside down. Outside though it surely made a mess. Washing the bike without pipe plug I do all the time and have not had any problem with it. I avoid the silencer tip when washing though.

Do you enough slack on your lever?

Last edited:
Top Bottom