WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Our local DRN chapter, Damn Yankee Dirt Riders, has been kicking around the idea of holding an off-road poker run this summer. The event would be open to anyone. A DRN member has graciously offered to have the event on his property. In order to protect him and DRN/DYDR from a frivolous lawsuit we're looking into purchasing insurance for this event.

In the past, there's been some discussion about event insurance in some of the member forums. The club I used to belong to in Chicago held a play day/poker run every year in the fall. They used to purchase event insurance through the AMA's former carrier (George Knight) who no longer insures m/c events. This was done so that people who were not AMA members could participate. This last fall when they tried to purchase insurance through the AMA's current carrier they found that it would cost $700, more than twice what it cost in 2000. By sanctioning the event, through the AMA, as an off-road poker run the insurance cost $100 plus a $25 sanctioning fee. The only difference was that all participants had to be AMA members.

If this information is correct (as it came directly from the District 17 enduro director) it means there is a substantial cost savings in purchasing event insurance from the AMA. I have no problem with holding a sanctioned event, but others (who are not AMA members) may.

Wardy/AJ - Do either of you have any additional information/insight into this issue?

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
The ama way at this point is the cheapest and dam near only way to go. I spent all day on the phone with insurance companys its pretty scary out there. You may try Naughton in Rhode Island to go non ama route but I don't think it will work.

wardy

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
That's pretty much what Jeff said too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Wardy,
Is the AMA insurance available for "non-competitive" events? I was led to believe it wasn't.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
there are

some non competitive stuff that ama handles like poker runs and off road and road field meets.

I think i have found some things in this area and I will have more information in a week.....will advise when i find out.

If it holds true its the best kept secret in the off road world right now!@

wardy

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
I believe the AMA has "non-competitive" insurance for an off road event called a "Trail Ride". It is the cheaper insurance that we used to be able to get for off road poker runs, etc.... It is getting harder to stay a step ahead of the insurance game.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by wardy
some non competitive stuff that ama handles like poker runs and off road and road field meets.

I think i have found some things in this area and I will have more information in a week.....will advise when i find out.

If it holds true its the best kept secret in the off road world right now!@

wardy
Wardy,
Anymore info on this? We're planning something for the first or second week of August and need to get the insurance set up to protect the land owner and us.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'm the treasurer for an AMA chartered dirtbike club. We hold two non-competitive 2 day trailrides and one hare scrambles every year. We get the insurance from the AMA. The TR insurance up until this year was always $220 per event. It went down to $153 this year. The HS insurance was something like $660 for a one day event but I haven't seen the rate for this year yet as our HS is in October and we haven't gotten the paperwork for it.

Some important notes. AMA lists TR's in their competition book even though the description says it's a non-competition event. Seems like a nit but what it does is forces us to sell full AMA memberships at our events because the much cheaper associate memberships would not be covered by our insurance. I've been around the block with the AMA about this. They know it's a problem and keep promising to address it in their annual 'congress' meeting but they never seem to do it. Basically, the Associate membership is totally worthless for offroad riders. It's good for some street bike events, I guess.

In our case, we can't look at outside insurance because the AMA district we're in won't sanction the event if we don't get insurance from the AMA. It's a sore spot for us because it really drives up the cost of the trailride, especially for the folks who would otherwise not be AMA members. The $39 membership is $9 more than what we charge for the weekend of riding!

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
jeb - In the situation the RM is asking about, our local DRN chapter, DYDR, is planning on holding an off-road poker run. It will be on private land that is owned by one of the members. The reason for the insurance is to protect DRN/DYDR and the land owner from a frivilous lawsuit.

I'm a strong supporter of the AMA, however DYDR is not a chartered club. Although DRN is chartered and DYDR is a local chapter of DRN I'm still unsure if DYDR would be able to obtain insurance.

Also, as you mentioned, the cost is another factor. Even if we only charged $10 for entry, a non-AMA member would have to pony up almost $50 to ride for a couple hours, which may keep several people from attending.

Top Bottom