Large

Jul 28, 2008
1) your physical size
6"4' 120Kgs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Middle ground
3) what do you plan to ride-
Ride to work 20kms a day, and off road on weekends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
A little bit, not alot.
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I can do a bit of it I guess.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 Stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
No, Lookng to buy used, private sale.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$3000au (AU bikes are more expensive than in the US)
10) Do you live in California?
New South Wales, Australia
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Just want somthing like an XR600 I think, are the 90's XRs reliable over 20,000 kms? What sort of maintaince will be required? Can mods be made to increase the power/reliability of the older bikes? Any other model suggestions? that are reliable but still fun.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Not sure what the used market for dirt bikes are like in Australia but I think you would be happy with either an xr400 or drz400L. If you can pick up a used xr650 or 600 go for it they are better suited for long trips especially on fast pace roads. There are plenty of old xr's with 20,000 km on them that still run well, it all depends on how the owner maintained it and rode it. And the maintenance on the XR's are fairly laid back. change the oil every 800 miles or so lube chain when needed, clean the air filter when it gets dirty. Those bike will last forever and if the time ever comes replacing the top-end should be fairly in-exspensive compared to the new fourstrokes. As far as mods go there are kits and pipes to open them up but there is a more plentiful amount of accessories for the DRZ's because there are still in circulation. A 600 can be a handful on tight trails so a 400 might be a better choice. Hope this helps.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
XRs are reliable forever, as long as they have at least minimal maintenance every once in a while.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I had 16,000 km on my 94 XR650 when I sold it and the guy who bought rode it for a long time without doing anything but basic maintenance. They really are solid bikes.

Top Bottom