Everything I needed to know in life I learned on a KDX... (long)

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Hi All,

Apologies ahead of time, but this text is rather long and droning...

Kind of a whacky title I know, but I needed an attention grabber appropriate to how enthusiastic I feel about the ride I had this weekend. I consider it to be the FIRST real trail ride since I got the new KDX-220 earlier this year, or at the very least, the first time the bike was used for something much closer to its potential than had been thus far...

For me, a person with NO motorcycle experience whatsoever before picking up the brand new KDX, the prospect of things like fear, injury, embarassment, and intimidation stemming from the bike were extremely powerful distractions. The only thing stemming the negativity was the fact that (being over 40 now) I surmised that I could still do things that I enjoyed like writing, gardening, RC, cooking, etc even if I lived to 100, but how long could a person hold off on off-roading? I had to take the plunge now or forever wonder "What if?"

That was the first lesson in life: Never lose the wonder of things that you had as a child... My friends all accused me of being crazy and not to get the dirtbike because it was not "sensible" Does sensible and bored, necessarily HAVE to go hand in hand?

Before last weekends ride I was insanely cautious... green trails, fire roads, flat river beds.... Some MX track stuff but always at a sedate and unremarkable pace... I'm convinced now that if I had NOT ridden with a group of experienced (and considerate) riders, that I would be doing that same thing over and over for literally months or even years. For me, the Blue square at the trail head always meant "turn back"... I was riding behind my friends this weekend after FINALLY getting together for a ride, and up the Kiln Canyon trail they went, with me in tow in the rear.

I was already nervous and assuming because I had made certain to let them know that I wanted to be careful and was a new rider, that they would veer away from the trail right where the posted Blue Square signpost marked where Kiln Canyon became "moderate difficulty"... The signpost was ahead and to me great anxiety they all rode past it and continued up the trail. Not only that but they began to pick up speed... I rolled on the throttle a little more as the sign went past, more nervous about being left behind then the trail ahead.

In a half mile or so the path turned from a trail 4 bikes wide, to a narrow "footpath" that cut into the side of a hill. Bobble once and either end up with a bar in the side of the hill on the right, or a tumble into a small gulley to the left... I stiffened up immediately, feeling neither relaxed, nor confident... then I looked ahead and saw my friends communicating with each other... The lead rider even sat sideways for a moment, shouting something to the rider right behind him while looking completely backward, and for some reason that made me feel much more at ease. This of course lasted only a few more minutes before we came to the first short hill climb.

They had stopped at the start of it waiting for me to catch up... then they told me matter of factly like it wasn't even going to be a question, what I was to do... "You don't need to run up with speed, just stay in second, stay clear of that deep rut on the left and those rocks and grass on the right, then snake your way to the top from there. Don't go off the throttle, and if your rear wheel starts to spin pull in the clutch a little till you feel the wheel hook back up"

They all preceeded to run up the hill at that point and I watched the lines they took, though I wasn't certain if I could do more than stay on and try to go up any way I could, let alone pick the path!

As I started up, I suddenly realized that no one gave me instructions on how to recover or what to do if I fell... and being already commited to the climb I actually said to myself in my helmet "I'm just going to have to F*#&ing make it on the first try then" Halfway up the short climb and the KDX didn't seem to even be sweating it half as much as me... I never lost traction and the bike always seemed to have more power if I rolled more on the throttle (It was also the first time I was absolutely certain I was completely "on the pipe" :) ) The thing climbed like a tractor...

Up over the top and a HUGE feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction, plus I got a Thumbs up from everyone before we continued and as stupid as it sounds, that gave me the best feeling I've had in a LONG while...

Which is Lesson #2 in life: There are few things more important in life than friends...

There were several more hillclimbs, and descents, which made me even more nervous, but I learned many many things from them that helped tremendously... In steep climbs with shale outcroppings that stuck up out of the ground like large razors, I was absolutely certain I would hit one, stop, and fall over painfully... Before the climb I was told to try and avoid them, but if I had to go over something, the front end would already be light because of the climb and being on power already, so if I couldn't loft the wheel over it (I'm wheelie challenged) what would happen is the front would bump up against it and just go right over. I could choose at that point to veer away slightly or just lean forward and power over it... and that's exactly what happened, in fact, it was vastly less abrupt then I imagined it would be...

On one descent, there was a sharp hairpin at the bottom that immediately turned back uphill... I dreaded the sharp switchbacks because I felt so offbalance trying to quickly get the rear end around under power... I always felt like I was going to get highsided or fall over to the inside of the corner...

In fact getting to the bottom of one, that is exactly what happened... I fell over to the inside... Coming back down from the following climb I was given more instructions on how to turn... I knew the texts I had read and thought I had absorbed them, but in practice, trying to combine all the elements was maddeningly difficult in its subtlety... One rider in the group got off his bike and placed me in the position prior to the switch back. He said not to be afraid of throttle and that I was having trouble because I was going too slow... He put his hands on my knee to the outside of the turn and pushed it into the bike hard... He said to press the knee to the outside of the bike, and that would help with balance.

They waited as I trundled a bit back up the preceding hill... turned around (gingerly) and started back down... They were all waiting at the bottom and watching as I came into the turn, drove my knee into the outside of the bike and in a sudden flash of realization, I found out that when you do that, it forces your upper body to be more "upright" as the bike leaned under you... It was also 10 times easier to stick my inside foot out next to my front wheel because of the leverage I got from that outside knee pressure... I whipped around the soft dirt at the base of the turn, the back end came around just like the feeling you have when someone grabs a chair you're sitting in and pulls it around to another direction, and up the hill I went! Because my upper body was more upright, it felt less like "leaning against a strong wind" with the offbalance sensation that gives you if the wind intensity changes, to more of a angling your legs to brace you against the wind, keeping your body more or less vertical... I know to more experienced riders it sounds inane, but to me it was a minor epiphany, and something no one could EVER get by simply reading technique articles in a magazine... :)

As an added bonus, my friends were all covered with a light dusting of dirt when they came up behind me because I had roosted them all inadvertantly as I was powering around the corner LoL! but they were not miffed in the least :)

So that's the next lesson learned in life and off-road: SIt up straight and don't slouch! :)

Sorry that this got so long... More experienced riders might respond with the ho-hum and a yawn, but hopefully newer riders will look at it more as an encouraging sign that just as in life, its far more common to sell yourself short and rest on "the best you think you can do" until you try a challenge you believe is outside your abilities but others with you know, is simply fear clouding your judgement and potential...

Its rare to find expert riders who never forgot what it felt like that first time they were on a bike... I consider myself more than fortunate to have the opportunity to ride with them whenever I want!

Have fun all and be safe!

Feanor

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You just summed up (in about 5,000 words :)) the very essence of why we love to ride. It challenges us to learn and do better, all the time, regardless of experience or skill. There is always something to learn or something we can improve upon.

I’m a 30 year student of this sport. I hope to continue to learn for another 30 or so years.

dom

Dec 31, 2001
Feanor said:
So that's the next lesson learned in life and off-road: SIt up straight and don't slouch! :)

Excellent I know how you feel. I had ridden a few times before I got my KDX but it had been fire roads and double-track. When I got my bike we went out to the woods and I learned what riding was about. I looped it out on my first hill (and busted my fender off) but my friends helped me pick up the pieces and assured me that I would get the hang of it. By the end of the day I was dead tired and I had to push my bike back to the truck in the dark (I gave away too much gas to my friend on a cr) but I've never had more fun.

Be prepared for lesson #2: Don't sit, stand.

marksharp

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
Well said

I enjoyed your exerpt, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Riding with your friends is really what makes this crazy sport so much fun. The memories and stories that are spawned from these rides last a lifetime. The tips you received from these guys are worth a hundred "how to" articles. Riding with more experienced people will accelerate your learning curve and make you an accomplished rider before you know it. Challenges met and overcome are the true source of accomplishment and satisfaction. Now I'm sounding philisophical, but I think you have a pretty good handle on why this offroad riding really is addictive. Yes it's dangerous in some degree, but that's the attraction. Not stupid dangerous, but enough to make it thrilling. Good thread,

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Yup, just got to love it! Great story and thanks for sharing it. At 44 years of age, I often think of giving it up but once I go riding again or hear stories like yours, I get all pumped up again realize why I'm still at it. Thanks!!!!!

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Great thread. :yeehaw: We just did a 35 miler at Sycamore Creek out of Phoenix. I ride with a mixed bag of riders from newbies to diehard racers & every ride is a learning experience. A racing buddy Rick has a WR400 he races The Whiplash Series with. I find riding with him a challenge because he pushs my riding skills (or lack of) to the limits. This last ride I had a few Zen moments were I could do no wrong. Traction & weight placement were perfect. 2nd gear brake slides into a corner, third gear wheelies out & set-up for the next. It was a total rush. :eek: Didn't last for long but what a leaning experience. I can't wait till next weeks ride. You can learn so much from the Masters & sooner or later you'll be giving the lessons.

yvonne

Nov 10, 2004
wow! cool post. I'm another beginner on a KDX 220. My time spent on any motorcycle can still be reasonably measured in hours. I've been sticking to the fireroads, just learning how to get going without dumping myself on my backside, and wondering how in the heck am I ever going to ride actual trails. So it's great to hear that it does happen, and there might be hope for me yet!

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Feanor, great story!!! I see you live in Ca. it would be great to ride with you sometime.

"Feel The Fear And Do It Anway" by Susan Jeffers, Ph.D.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I think this is exactly what most of us newbies feel while riding with the good riders. I also have a fear that if I ride with these guys they will not be very tolerant of my totally cool face plants or my completly uncooth get offs. I would really be upset if I was to take any of the fun out of their riding enjoyment because they were having to baby sit the newbie. I guess if they are worth riding with they would be willing to help.

Jim

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Thanks all for the wonderful replies and encouragement!

To date, I don't think I've ever experienced such a strong sense of "fellowship" (for lack of a better word) in any of the other activities I've tried in my life, than in off-road motorcycles. And I Fence, shoot, practice archery, road cycle, and engage in numerous other activities.

I'm convinced this is so because there is an element of risk with dirtbikes, and because of that, a mutual respect (even grudgingly given sometimes by those who might not see eye to eye) to any and all who participate. Its a strong affinity between those who share in a common danger, perhaps not unlike that soldiers in the field might experience.

Razrbakcrzy, I felt exactly as you did in that I was desperately worried that I would be a "nuisance" to the more experienced riders and would end up detracting from their own fun... I let them know about my concerns and they just laughed and said that it was always easy to go somewhere and blast around with riders of the same caliber or even go nuts on the track, but to be able to hook up with someone new who was really excited about getting good, and have an opportunity to teach them the right way, and watching them have success, that was as "cool" as anything on the track or trail...

And I REALLY did get the feeling that they felt genuinely about that... It was fun too sometimes stopping at the side of the trail and listening to their little pow-wows as they consulted each other about their own individual opinions and techniques about how to tackle certain sections...

The climbs (beginner climbs) definitely don't hold the same fear factor for me as they once did as the hill always looks 10 times more intimidating from the top looking down or bottom looking up than it does as your powering up it... (I still can't believe some of the near vertical ascents some guys were doing!!! That's ALOT later for me!) At the top of one short climb one of my friends mentioned that you really aren't even going that fast, its the sound of the motor and the vibration that makes you feel like your ripping along at some breakneck speed, but in reality, you're only really doing something like10 mph (if that for that particular climb) and if for some reason you did lose traction or forward momentum, you just end up plopping over with almost NO speed. Thinking about that displaced most of the fear and made more of the fun factor come thru...

Going down a steeper, more slippery downhill was probably the most nervous I got during times on the trail... There was always a feeling of being right on the edge of a long tumbling ride down... I was having a devil of a time because I wasn't using the front brake at all and relied completely on the rear brake and engine braking... this because of bits and pieces that I'd gleaned about using front brake from MX magazines etc...

Then as I was in one rear sliding/skidding trip down a section (and horrifyingly picking up speed) suddenly my buddy was right next to me and shouting over the motor noise... "Less rear brake... use the front too... tap tap tap.... go straight and tap the front brake, you'll slow down... but don't lock up the front"

In a few seconds of alternately pressing and releasing the front brake while still using the rear and engine braking I was down to a crawl and could even reliably bring myself to a complete halt on the downhill! That was Epiphany #2 during the ride after the "pressing the knee into the outside of the bike in a turn" epiphany :) Another example of how valuable it is to ride with nice people with practical knowedge and not the perpetuation of misinformation because I was interpreting what I thought made sense from a magazine about a completely different dirtbike application :)

From then on, the descents were more like "ok... here we go, nice and easy..." instead of the previous "A downhill.... crap!"

I really like my friends quote at the bottom of one hill "Start out slow and pick up speed after you know the kind of surface you're on... Never start out fast downhill thinking you can slow down later, because I don't care if you're McGrath (I found out who the heck he was later :) ) if you start too fast on a no traction downhill, you can't cheat physics...

I still can;t stop blabbing about the day because it was so much danged fun!

At the end of the day, talking to the wife of one of my riding friends I mentioned again how I felt bad because I thought I stunted their fun by being the newb... but she said "You're friends right? that means that you have to share alot of the same feelings about things... would you have fun spending the day teaching someone new things?"

"I said, of course I would!"

"There you go then" she responded... "Now shut up and have a beer..."

LoL!

Dirtbike enthusiasts are philosophical too! :)

Have a good one all!

Feanor

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I know I'm not the only one who talks to myself in my helmet. I can't tell you how many times I've said "man, this is awesome!"--to myself on a trail ride. I also love the HUGE eyes behind the goggles and high-fives after a nasty section. I LOVE this stuff!!

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
DirtRoller,

I'd love to get together for a ride sometime! I'm in Northern Cal, so it might be a bit more difficult to hook up, but I was talking to my Cousin and she wants to get a group trip to Hungry Valley... I have no idea where that is except that it might be closer to your neck of the woods... Do you ride that area at all?

Take Care!

Feanor

fastkdx220

Oct 19, 2004
Its a strong affinity between those who share in a common danger, perhaps not unlike that soldiers in the field might experience

Hey Feanor, wonderful thread, being a soldier in a combat zone and an avid offroad enthusiast I have had the pleasure of experiencing both sides of the road. And you are 100% correct. There is a level of thrill in riding, just as there is in Mortars falling around you that brings you and your companions together. Now I must tell my story about learning on a KDX. I began riding at the age of 13, I weighed 120 lbs and I was riding a 1985 KDX 200. Needless to say the bike was a bit big for me. My old man taught me the basics of riding. I remember one time riding in Northern Pennslvania there was a section of trail that had small gas lines running across the trail. I was constantly washing my front tire out on them. So the old man taught me to square up my front tire on them when crossing them. It is a small thing that I would not think twice about when riding now, but a valuable lesson nonetheless. You will learn all the invaluable lessons about riding from your friends. But most importantly you will learn what you need to succeed by simply getting out their and riding. The only way to learn about river crossings is by crossing them, hillclimbs by shooting up them and crashing, and hard right hand braking turns by diving into them and powering out of them. Pretty soon it will be second nature and you'll look back and wonder why you feared the hill climbs and other technical sections. Riding with friends is the best part about riding because you get to push each other and that's what makes us better riders. We get to talk trash to each other, rub tires and when it's all said and done we can drink a beer and B.S. about the ride. As far as talking to ourselves in our helemt. I don't think we're crazy, I do it all the time. Whether I'm singing a song or carrying on a conversation, it helps me to keep my mind off of the trail which in turn makes riding more like second nature. Maybe I'm just doing some rambling here, but the bottom line is that you're right, riding buddies kick ass, and learning how to ride is an amazing accomplishment in life. And yes, off-road riders can be philosophical.

Kevin Shuffstall
SSG, USArmy

Top Bottom