bluefin

Nov 18, 2001
I am moving from a XR 400 to eather one of these two models any help ? I ride/race desert but do spend a lot of time riding with my kids, so a kick stand is most helpfull. I love the xr 400 because it's very nice power delivery in tight stuff, but hate to kick start this beast. I am leaning to the 400 exc but would love to hear any comments. I must have the exc model, 1) green sticker 2) kick stand.
Thanks

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
I have ridden the EXC520. It wheelied off the throttle in second very nicely. It makes lazy smooth low down, mid and top power. You can ride all day in 3rd. Up/down shifts don't seem important. The 400 has been slightly criticised for its low down performance compared to the WR426 and DRZ400. It rips up top-a bit two stroke like.

I ordered the 520 on the strength of my ride.

I don't think you'll be disapointed in either but the 520 will be an improvement in low down power compared to the XR400

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I'm a D37 senior desert racer and I have a 01 520 EXC. The power delivery is very friendly, you get just as much as your right wrist allows. I also ride a 99 WR 400. The power on the Yamaha is much more explosive. I would recommend the 520 because the power is so friendly. You can trail ride it Saturday and pull the 5th gear( or yikes, 6th gear) sandwashes on Sunday.The E button is way cool too. Get stuck on one of those 2nd loop rocky uphills and you'll know it was the right decision.

My friend installed one of those electronic speedometers and timed himself at 93 MPH at Anderson Dry Lake w/ stock gearing. Too fast for this old guy!

Email me if you want more info. Gregg

colorado-high

Jul 4, 2000
I would agree with Phastphart that the 520 would be better for you if you ride desert races.I have ridden both and each is a wonderful bike. I bought a 400 because I race Enduros, tight rocky nasty stuff.I could ride the 400 longer and faster than the 520 in the tuff stuff.Get the fan kit if you plan on riding slow with the kids it will help keep it from over heating.

bluefin

Nov 18, 2001
520 or 400 exc

I have my xr 400 built to the hill, love the power but was thinking that I get the 400 exc, this bike would most fill my needs currently. I rode a VOR 501 and that bike was too much for me. I think that if I was to optain a 400 I would always want that 500. I am a D-37 desert sen, very slow on the open stuff, but make my speed in the technical terrain. The last national H&H I really needed 2 bikes, xr-250 and a xr-650. I am hoping to purchase a bike that would fit all the riding I do but I understand that there is not a bike like that made, but the KTM rfs come very close.
Thanks for all the replies !
Jay

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Hey brother! Did you get your pumpkin yet for this weekend? You should have just gotten a KX500 and just buy a bunch of subframes to go with it like me. Lets see how long my new one last. Make sure you have the welder handy for this weekend. See ya Friday night brother!

bluefin

Nov 18, 2001
No pumkin, but I think that it will be a little bigger, I just ordered a EXC 520 today. I hope it is not to much, well I will just have to get use to it. I did notice that one must do a lot of shoping to find a dealer that is willing to make a profit from the transaction, rather than telling you " there is more demand than the supply ". I have found that the price for these KTMrfs is all over the place, I found that it was best to call every dealer ( listed in the last cycle news ) and ask questions, price, delivery ect. I found that 2 of the dealers in the state of Calif. would give me a date of delivery and call back. The dealers must take notice, no one would ever expect you to work without a profit, but one day KTMrfs will be on the floor every model. I am going 400 plus miles to get mine, there are 5 dealers within 40 miles of me. Anyone had to deal with the dealers putting there kids school from the sale of your bike ? rather than the sale of perhaps the quarters sales. prices for a 2002 520 EXC 8200 to 9800 wow.

Thanks for your replies
Jay

:mad:

Feb 28, 2001
Dealer Arrogance & Greed

I just recently purchased an '02 400 EXC, and was completely put off by the entire KTM dealer "experience". I found most dealers to be rude, arrogant, and downright offensive to deal with. My one and only local dealer was a complete jerk, refusing to discount his bike one penny, sticking to MSRP. He was unknowledgeable about technical questions, and didn't like it when I told him other out of town dealer's were willing to sell me the same bike for less.
A few of the dealer's here have a unofficial secret deal among themselves to sell all of their '02's for the same price, but would never admit to this. They get quite pissy with one another whenever one dealer finds out that another discounted a bike to make a sale. It's very much a case of Caveat Emptor when buying any bike, but especially it seems with KTM.

:eek:

Montana300

May 4, 2000
The way I look at it, most bike dealers have forgotten what it is like to earn sales and have return clients, compound that with high demand for certain models and it goes straight to their heads.

But for those of us KTM riders who still like to mix our gas, the popularity of the RFS models has made our 2-strokes much easier to get deals on :)

In my area, we also get alot of attitude regarding pricing and other dealers because we can save lots by just crossing the border and buying a new scoot in Canada, which many of us do.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I have heard of this, seems to happen more in areas where KTM's are not as abundant. In the northeast seems that most of the KTM dealers also deal with jap brands, and are in direct competition with one another, so it tends to keep em a bit more honest. I got my 520 for MLP, at the time it was $6495. I think that is reasonable. If I'm not mistaken, MLP on them now are $6995. if they want more than that, shop elsewhere.

Just to ad some more on the 400/520 debate; When racing in an event it definatly takes a bit more energy to 'meter' the 520 through tight sections, and of course to hold on in the straight sections, so over-all, I agree that it takes more physical energy to ride the 520 than a 400. In a 40 mile H/S, rider fatigue will cost you in lap times.
But, on a non-competitive note, the 520 is a blast to ride!
So, if you plan on racing, you'll need both, the 520 for recreation/practice, and a tricked out 400 for competing. ( I'm still saving for a tricked out 400):(

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
In regards to KTM and Euro dealers, I will say this. I have found that they are almost always better to deal with than the typical Japanese moto dealers. You go to any Japanese dealer and they usually know squat about what they are selling since most of the salesmen are crotch rocket riders or they are simply salesmen. You go to most Euro dealers and just about everyone in the small shop rides and can really talk dirt. I don't own a Euro bike yet, but I'm sure it will be next on my list. When I'm in the area, I usually stop in the local KTM dealer just to look and BS for an hour or so.

Jan 10, 2001
400 for me

I've been looking around and researching bikes for a while now. I had decided on a 250 EXC 2-stroke, but now I'm gonna go with the 400. My dealer right down the road here is just a complete jerk. They don't know more about the bike then a 2 year old does. He gave me a price on the 400 EXC $7800!! Well I said forget that and got on the net and found some KTM dealers kinda close and, started calling them. 2 of them were just the same and didn't know anything and wanted way to much. Then I got one that was very nice and very knowledgeble. Had 2 02 520s in stock and wanted $6900. He also had a 01 400 EXC in stock and wanted $6400. But I got a 02 coming in next week for $6995, and thats the best I could find for around here and the guy was really nice about it so next week theres gonna be a pumpkin sitting in my basement. Its only a 140 mile drive there so, its worth it. Plus I don't have to pay sales tax, no sales tax for out of state residents. Guess I'll be changing my name on DRN.

bluefin

Nov 18, 2001
SandRooster220

Dont forget to post for buying expearence here, Remember to enjoy spending YOUR money, you have to work way too hard not to enjoy spending it !
Jay

Top Bottom