tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
How does the 450 EXC compare to the 400 EXC in the tight stuff (I ride in the hills of North Central PA)? I'm concerned that the 450 might be a bit too much. I rode a 400 and it seemed pretty good but just a bit soft right off the bottom (I'm presently riding a XR 600 and 250 in the woods but am considering going Orange for the first time). I love the way my 600 pulls down low but can't stand the weight. Don't know if I'll get the 450 or save some $ on a left over 400. Any comments? Thanks for the input.

tightwoods

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I've got about 2 hours on my bike now so I have a more clear impression of it. I have a tight little woods course on the other side of our creek that I've been pounding laps on plus some easy riding around the main part of our acerage.

This is no MX bike. As other's have said, it's a bit slower revving than the 400, which does make sense given the longer stroke. It seems to have a bit more torque, though. The front wheel comes up a little bit easier/faster. The engine change is nothing dramatic compared to my 01 400EXC, though. Sort of like a pipe difference in a 2 stroke. I have not had it WFO yet so there may be some difference there I haven't seen yet.

I played with the air/fuel screw from 1 to 2 out. I'm running the OCEMN needle in the middle with a 172mj, same as the 400. It liked 1 out best as far as throttle response. Starting is not as consistent as the 400 was. Any tiny blip of the throttle will make this one crank for a while. On the 400, it still started quickly. Maybe this will get better but it was never a problem with the 400. Might just be learning curve, too.

Turning and cornering speed seemed about the same to me. I'm not sure why but I was able to put in a lot of laps before I got tired. Makes me wonder if this bike is just a little easier to ride fast. Time will tell.

Suspension seems good but my woods course is pretty smooth, too. Some breaking bumps that it sucked up well and one 20" log nothing sucks up well.

Hoping to really ring it out this weekend, especially the suspension, at a rougher single track area. That will really help me know where things are at.

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Thanks for the feedback, jeb! I'm sure I would like the 450. It's supposed to turn better than the 400's in part because of revised triple clamp offset. My XR600 weighs 304 lbs. with a full tank of gas so it's about 30 lbs. heavier than my buddy's 400 EXC. I'd like a lighter bike (wouldn't we all!) but as an all around woods package the 450 EXC should be a huge improvement over what I'm used to riding.

tightwoods

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Tight,
Check out the post in here called RFS Rake Angle. The 450 has the same rake and offset as the 00-02's. The front tire may even be farther out in front because of the larger forks and axles.

My 01 400E weighed in at 257 with enduro guards, computer, large (but empty) tank, tall seat, etc so it'd be AT LEAST 30 pounds lighter than you XR. And it'll feel a lot lighter than that.

Last edited:

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Jeb,

I'm looking forward to a full report once you get some time on it. I'm 50/ 50 on keeping my '02 or going for the '03. I have no complaints at all about my 400, so I'm not really sure why I think I need the 450!!!

I'll be down in your neck of the woods for the next Millville HS for a long weekend. Maybe we can hook up and I can take it for a spin?

Coach

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Coach,
I'll be a course marshall for that race, most likely. I'll be there. Make sure you look me up for a ride.

Top Bottom