KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I am thinking about going to EXCEL Rims (Black). I want to run the 110/90/19 setup. What do i need besides a Rim, spoke kit, and a new tire? Thanks

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
You will have to make sure excel makes that rim for a KDX hub. I too wanted excel rims for my 96 KDX & found very little variety in size to fit the KDX hub. I fact, the only black excel I found was stock size, and sometimes only found it in silver.

good luck

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
I was told in a dirt bike shop that the 19" tires are all lower profile, making the effective tire size roughly the same.

He said that the reason the off road bikes all come with 18 is the higher (deeper?) sidewall allows for more give which should save you from flats.

'Course, he could be full of it. The whole discussion started with him telling me that that Starcross was a great rear tire, but it only comes in 19, which my bike doesn't have.

Anyway, it may be worth checking into, especially for bcVulcan as it will answer your question.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Dawg_enD said:
I was told in a dirt bike shop that the 19" tires are all lower profile, making the effective tire size roughly the same.

He said that the reason the off road bikes all come with 18 is the higher (deeper?) sidewall allows for more give which should save you from flats.
I've heard the same thing.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
The higher sidewall on the 18 makes it less likely to have impact punctures from hitting rocks and you also get more traction over logs and roots and the like. I have a 19 on my 360 sx and it absolutely sucks over ugly terain and clearfell. The only advantage that I know of with a 19 inch rear is that it has less inertia so spins up faster. Not a big deal if you are riding anywhere but an MX track. Personaly I tried to get an 18 inch rear wheel for the 360 at a reasonable price. If you were looking for the performance increase from a 19 you would probably be better off moving away from the KDX altogether. I'm not sure if the MS2 comes in an 18 but I'd grab an S12 rear and an MS2 front even if the 18inch MS2 was available

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom