Excessive white smoke after top-end done

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I finally found enough time to finish my top end on my 90kdx. I also replaced the stock pipe and silencer with a pro circuit platinum pipe and silencer. I left the jetting as it was - 48 pilot, 150 main, and the 1172 needle in the second clip from the top- I'm in florida so pretty much sea level and moderate temperatures (about 60 right now).

The bike didn't want to start until I put some starter fluid in the cylinder -don't know if this is common after a top-end job or not.

Anyhow, I let it idle for about 10 min and then I drove around at slow speeds and low rpm's for about another 10. I shut it down for about 30 min and then started it back up, kicked over fine this time.

Anyhow, I noticed a lot of white smoke both times I was running it. I'm not sure if this is because of the new pipe and silencer or maybe something else. I checked the service manual and mentioned throttle cable adjustment. I checked it out and the amount of free play seems pretty good. I'm not really sure how throttle cable could make it smoke, I'm guessing maybe too much slack and the slide is seated to low???

Anyhow, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
only time my bike did that was when the head gaskets was pinched and was letting a little coolant in my cylinder,, you may can look at your spark plug to see if its got any coolant on it.. other times, a new pipe may need richer jetting,, it doesnt want to rev on its own does it?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check out EGs website for a 'how to' on 2-smoke break in. For next time, maybe. Letting it sit still and run isn't on the list.

You might wanna check your water level. Bet it's low. Cuz it's getting into the combustion chamber like nevada sixx said.

Did you by chance torque stuff down?

If you REused the head gasket, it should have been sprayed with a sealer.......

Now is when I find that '90 is air cooled :(

That's '92 or somesuch, isn't it?

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Thanks for the replies, I'll check the coolant level.

If coolant is getting past the head gasket what should I do, just take the head off and put some sealant on the gasket? (also, I used all new gaskets)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Look for some damage that's causing the problem when you have it apart. Any cracks or corrosion to the metal around the passages?

You didn't say it was torqued with a wrench (that works, hopefully) or not? That could be the whole problem.

Tighten in the correct pattern?

Not trying to insult your mechanical aptitude. If it leaks coolant there is either something mechanically wrong or it was put together incorrectly.

EG recs a SPRAY-on adhesive...NOT a liquid applied with a brush.

Of course, make sure everything is VERY clean when you put it together.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I rode it for about 45 min today on some medium trails. I checked the radiator fluid after I let it cool down, and the level was fine in both the main tank and reserve.

Also, I did torque the bolts to spec so it doesn't seem like coolant is the problem. I guess that leaves me with only a too high float level or maybe some out of whack jetting.

I've never jetted a 2stroke before. Hopefully it won't be too bad, I've read all the posts I could find on here plus on EG's site. My biggest jetting problem is finding a good area for me to get a 30-45 second run for the throttle chop.

As always, thanks for all the replies.....I would have given up on the bike a while ago if it wasn't for this forum.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
2-stroke smoke isn't generally white from the premix oil. I don't know that there is NO oil that doesn't smoke white.

I assume it didn't smoke white before?

That's usually a water issue, and what you're looking at would be steam, not smoke. And, if it's bad enough to show up at the exhaust tip, you can usually see it on the plug..IT looks like it's been in a steam bath.

Maybe it's something else. How long was the bike sitting? You live in a hi humidity area.....so maybe your gas has some water in it, especially if the fuel has alcohol in it.

Maybe a good idea to drain what's in there and start with fresh fuel/oil.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i wonder if you could be leaking coolant into the tranny..other than that, maybe it's running lean from the new top end job, is your plug looking tan and dry?

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I've been trying to look everything over. It's tough to get a good idea of the tranny oil since if the bike is leaned over just abit more the level changes - I don't have a stand for it.

I suspect my float level may still be too high. I've checked it with a makeshift level gauge and it appears alright, but when on the bike it's always 'peeing'. I'm waiting for a new float to get in to help me in the troubleshooting.

Another question slightly off topic.....I seem to spend half my day using the search function - is there a way to get it to search for phrases?

Thanks again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…