Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Did anyone happen to see Travis Pastrana in the Rally Car competition in Spain yesterday? (Speed Chnl.)

It was a closed course rally car race where two cars started out side by side. The winner went on to the next level and the loser went home. Travis did great working his way through the elimination rounds beating some pretty fast rally guys along the way.

He made it up to the final rounds and went up against Marcus Grunhold (SP?), Champion rally driver and winner of last years event. He got a great start and was actually running with Marcus when disaster struck.

In true Travis fashion, he was using up all of the racetrack and surounding hillsides to get through the corners. About half way through, he got it a little to far up one of the hillsides and the car dug in and flipped. It rolled up the hill and then rolled back down the hill and landed on its wheels on the track.

It was wadded up pretty bad. Bashed in on all sides and badly caved in on the top. The camera was looking down on the car and it looked ugly. Most everyone was wondering if the kid was ok. At least everyone that didn't know Travis. :ohmy:

After a few minutes the car started to move and proceeded to finish the course with body parts and trim bits trailing behind. The crowd went nuts. They couldn't believe what they were seeing. I was laughing so hard I could barely see.

He got to the finish and jumped out of the car with his signature smile and ran to the next car. The next car had a co-driver in it and you should have seen the look on the co-drivers face. :laugh:

Well, they wouldn't let him run the next event because the rule book says if you roll your car you are eliminated. The co-driver looked very relieved.

If the kid can keep it on four wheels, I think he has a fantastic future ahead of him in rally car racing. He is already a crowd faviorite. :thumb: :worship:

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Ol'89r said:
I was laughing so hard I could barely see.

If the kid can keep it on four wheels, I think he has a fantastic future ahead of him in rally car racing. He is already a crowd faviorite. :thumb: :worship:

Being Travis is what Travis does best. :thumb: I watched it and you had to love the smile he had on his face afterwards :laugh:

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
I like watching those rally cars. To me that's as close to riding a motorcycle as you can get on 4 wheels. I also saw in either Transworld MX or Racer X that Pastrana and Bartram built a rally car course by Stillwater somewhere. :thumb:
Jerry

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
He also wadded up his formula car in the "Sobe driver search" (or something like that) last weekend. The guy loves to crash! :)

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
firecracker22 said:
Is he old enough to drink yet?
No, he's not. He's only 10 days younger than me and I don't turn 21 until September.

I sure hope he doesn't mess himself up racing rally cars and stuff so bad that he won't be able to ride MX or SX again. He's one of my favorite people to watch on a bike!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Man, I'd love to drive a rally car. I used to pitch a '65 Impala around on the gravel roads around home. That was a sight. Lucky no one died.

But he's more likely to be hurt on a bike. Full roll cages are a wonderful thing.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Man I missed it, I like watching those rally cars. No that's real car racing. I hope to find a replay, That's a sure classic.

I'm sure MX is the only motor sport that once you wad it up, you don't cry our pout but pick it up and finish the race. And Travis does agreat job of wading up other peoples $100,000 machines.

You gotta love it.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Too much. Quite a bag-o-talent, that guy, and a crowd pleaser - certainly good for any sport.

Seems to me big smiles go a long way in the sport; Malcolm Smith, Randy Hawkins, and Travis come to mind.

I'm glad not to be on the same track - or any, for that matter - as happy face. I would think if he held back just a little and not go for broke he may go further in the long run.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I actually managed to find it while channel surfing. As luck would have it, right before Travis started the previous round. True to form, he is bound to be a crowd favorite. He does seem to have an enormous amount of fortune when it comes to walking away, etc., from his mistakes. I too, look forward to him riding his bike in the near future.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I got to see it, too. He did wad it up, but good.

After driving the mess back to the pits, Travis hopped out of the wreck and sprinted over to the backup car. As he was running from the smoking hulk, I couldn't help but think that Travis was trying to avoid having a Dr. in a white coat shining a light in his eyes and asking how many fingers.

Luckily, he seemed to be fine, charisma and smile intact. But anybody who rolls a race car should at least have a cursory exam before they take the controls of the next car. Love his enthusiasm, but his judgement is a little suspect sometimes.

Top Bottom