alex_levanway

Sep 13, 2004
I have a 1996 yz 125. I bought this bike used and it wasn't going into neutral so I had to inspect the clutch. Taking off the clutch cover didnt help me at all so I ended up taking off the right crancase cover. I made the mistake of taking out the bolts and popping off the cover while the gover linkage arm was still attatched. I got the bolt out of the governor linkage arm and the cover came completly off. So when I reassembled the cover, as instructed by the manual I purchased, it was functioning the same as when I dissasembled it. Before I took it off, you could look at the governor linkage arm by leaning over the bike(with the pipe, silencer, and linkage arm cover off). I unhooked the spark, kicked over the engine, and watched the linkage arm move up and down,maybe 10 times per kickstart. when i reasembled it and kicked it over, it doesnt move at all. So I dissasembled the governor, and the thrust bearings were shot, i mean shot, the roller bearings wont even stay in there slots. Ive been told that could be the source of he problem, but nothing happened from when i took it apart to when I put it back together that could have damaged the bearings, so I have to assume it was working with ruined bearings before. I am waiting for my paycheck so I can order some new bearings, but I dont think its gonna do it, n the meantime i figured I would see if anyone knew of anything else that may have caused this problem. Also I have ruled out the possibility of incorrect installation because its so simple and even without any mechanical experience it could be reaseembled, and finally the exhaust valves themselves have no carbon buildup and appear to be moving fine. Thanks, and I apologize for writing so much but I wanted to be as clear as possible.

Top Bottom