eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I have a 97 KDX220R and I want to clean the Exhaust Valves but I dont know what to use to clean them. Can anyone tell me what to use to clean the Exhaust Valves?

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I removed my exhaust valves and the valve assembly and soaked them in kerosene. After they soaked for a while, I wiped them down really well to remove the residual, and actually had to do some scraping on the main valve to remove the carbon.

I would highly recommend this route versus others that folks on this site speak to - like spraying oven cleaner on the main valve while it is still in the engine....

Do some searches and probe around on this site, there is a lot of good information here, as well as many opinions. The safest route is taking it down and removing the valve assembly. An added benefit is that you can inspect the piston and check ring clearances/gaps.

Good luck!

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Yes you do sir! It is fun though, do your homework first to get a handle on the kips removal though - highly advised.

Gladtoride-I've seen people speak to spraying down the main valve with oven cleaner while it is still in the bike. Don't ask me how, or better yet what the residual does to the cylinder sleeve....

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Ahh, it's that $450 chunk of aluminum (cylinder, I believe it is called) that I am worried about. :-)

YES, you have to take it all out and clean it out of the cylinder.

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
I've only cleaned mine 1 time (given that I've owned the bike for about 1 yr), and would recommend only using petroleum based products such as kerosene and/or gasoline. The problem with gasoline is that it has an extremely low boiling point, or put differently, is highly volatile, thus can be dangerous if a spark of some sort were to occur around it. The bigger challenge, as I said before, is taking the bike down and getting these puppies out. Good luck!

Top Bottom