2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
can someone please exsplain how the 2 cycle oil ratios are mesured? what I mean is (this is just an example) in a 50:1 mix ratio is the 50 the oil or is the 1 the oil because im confused.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
1 gallon (128 ounces) of gas to 4 ounces of oil is 32:1.. What do you think is the answer?

Also, for future reference, it's Explanation and Explain.

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
IndyMX said:
1 gallon (128 ounces) of gas to 4 ounces of fuel is 32:1.. What do you think is the answer?

Also, for future reference, it's Explanation and Explain.

Indy: I'm guessing "fuel" is supposed to be "oil"

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Igor likes to make sure the top end stays lubed :)

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the sarcastic remarks. I was doing somthing else at the time, thats why the spelling was so poor. I understand that you guys do get frusterated with people who ask dumb qeustons but I was just asking to reafirm (not sure that's spelled right) what I already thought.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Sometimes we "think" we'll feel better by making others feel stupid. Sorry bud, you deserved a respectful reply.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Isn't it actually read as 32 parts gas, to 1 part oil? What if he measures in potatoes instead of ounces? Still 32:1

Still 32 parts of one to 1 part of the other. Regardless of the unit of measure.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Sometimes we "think" we'll feel better by making others feel stupid. Sorry bud, you deserved a respectful reply.

Oh lighten up, no one was trying to make him feel stupid.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Most people get confused because they think of oil in ounces and gas in gallons. Then they assume 50:1 must mean 50 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas. But that's wrong of course. If you get a ratio rite measuring cup your troubles are over.

To answer your question the 50 is the gas and the 1 is the oil but you have to be using the same units for both, like Indy said. So it's 50 ounces of gas and 1 oz of oil, or 50 cc and 1cc or 50 gallons and 1 gallon.

Get the ratio rite.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Its cool. thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2strokesrock said:
Its cool. thanks for clearing that up for me :) well know I know that I am running a good mix. my bike is jetted a little rich and I have been mixing the gas a little lean(50:1) :)

Which will only serve to make the jetting even more rich.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
ok. enlighten me. how does that work? I just want to learn about this because im so confused.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Wait,before you answer that answer this. Does jetting it rich mean more fuel to air or more air to fuel?

MOgle80

Dec 4, 2005
rich jetting means fuel is richer than the air and leaning it out puts more air to the fuel BUT WAIT there is a second part . no really aside from fouling a spark plug due to a rich jetting situation there is also the deal of pre-mix that can be rich with oil ( example would be putting double the amount of oil in a batch of two-stroke bike gas) GET a RATIO RITE like your friend Vintage Dirt suggested. It will make it simple. You wont be worrying that the amount of oil in your gas affected the size of jetting ever :nod:

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
yep it can be a bit tricky to understand, but to make life easier NEVER USE THE TERM RICH/LEAN WHEN TALKING ABOUT OIL TO GAS RATIOS! rich or lean should only be used to describe the amount of fuel oil (premix) in relation to the amount of air.Basically if you have a premix that contains less oil i.e 50:1 then it tends to make the air/fuel ratio richer. If you then took the exact same bike and used a premix ratio that contains more oil i.e. 25:1 then it would tend to lean that bikes jetting out a bit as there is more oil flowing through the same size jets, and therefore less fuel to be mixed with the air causing the air/fuel ratio to be leaner......
hope this helps you to understand :whoa:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Each company designs, and sells the bike, assuming that it is going to someone that has enough sense to follow directions. If you do not know something about your bike, the manual explains all. It will tell you the bike was jetted and set to an oil ratio of 32:1(or whatever, they do vary) Also it will tell you how to mix the fuel. Sometimes with pictures! AND, it contains maintenance, minimum octane rating and jetting tables! You mix the fuel properly, if it is blowing spooge, you have a mechanical reason why. Be it jetting, or a late engine overhaul. Why would anyone question the oil ratio? Because a guy they know said he tried it and it helped? He is an idiot, and lazy. He is more than likely NOT smarter than the company that paid people to engineer the bike. They generally sell the bike a little rich to cover an engine in the worst cases, so it will not go out the door an blow up! Bikes that are not following maintenance schedules are very difficult to fix later! A guy does not want to throw 300 dollars to freshen his motor, has spooge blowing out, figures to reduce the oil going in. And it may work, till the engine blows. From lack of maintenance and leaning the oil ratio.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
OK I think I understan you now :) I dont have a manuel.but I am going to leave it just the way it is because I have not fouled plugs and im not blowing spooge and its smoking lightly and it has not seized up ever, so I think it about right.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Once you decide on a type of oil and you choose your desired ratio, stick with it and jet your card accordingly. If you change ratios, you'll need to dip into the carb again.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Shaw520 said:
my,... how well educated we have become,.. my hat is off to you all.
Sentences begin with capital letters, silly. :nener:

And I don't think you can follow up a comma with a set of periods!?

Top Bottom