Exploding gas cans - fire everywhere!

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Hey all,

Dramatic title, I know. ;)

Question - Where I have been riding there is only an open pavilion area for loading/unloading-parking while riding. The temps here in East Texas have been in the 100s - with full sun - lately. I'm a little concerned with leaving the gas canisters out in the bed of the pickup full of 2-stroke fuel. I keep waiting for the distant explosions as I'm riding. :0

Yet I don't want to lock them up in the cab of the truck as the fumes would be obnoxious on the way home. There is literally no shade areas for several hundred feet.

Is there, as far as anyone knows, any danger of detonation of the fuel cans in that heat/sun? Anyone ever had any issues with this?

On a side note ... in our state they banned the "good" gas cans - the ones with normal spout and vents. We are having to buy and use the new fangled type - no vent and pressure activated spouts - man, I really prefer the old type! Any of you having to deal with the same issue or is Texas the only state to go this route?

Thanks!
Daf

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Never saw or heard of a jug exploding. I have saw the gas jug build enough pressure to pop the small yellow cap off. When I think my jug is going to be exposed to the sun heat I will loosen the spout by a half round just remember to tighten back before filling the bike.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
rather than leaving them in the back of the truck in the sun
why dont you just put them under the back of truck???
it would be in the shade???
thats what we do down here in fl

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
sparkysakitas said:
rather than leaving them in the back of the truck in the sun
why dont you just put them under the back of truck???
it would be in the shade???
thats what we do down here in fl
Same here. Buy a automotive wheel valve stem. Remove the core, drill a 1/4" hole opposite the spout. Use a coat hanger to guide the valve stem thru the spout opening to your new hole and pull it thru. Now you have a vented gas can by just removing the valve stem cap.
This was not my idea but I now have all of my gas and desiel cans vented. Cheap easy fix.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Considering crude oil is placed under tremendous heat to seperate the oil in to various layers one of which is gasoline and considering that your truck and bike haven't exploded from sitting in the sun I'd say leaving your can outside the truck where it will be cooler than the inside temp when it's closed up would be an OK plan. Gasoline likes to have a spark or fire to go boom, normal surface of the earth temps shouldn't cause you a lot of concern about "fire everywhere".

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
If I were you I would bring a cooler. Thats what I do at the races. Its a fact that cold gas produces more hp at higher rpm's. It may only be .8 to 1 more hp but every little bit helps. Of course if you're just riding around with friends that really doesnt matter that much.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Thanks all - that eases my mind a bit. Good point that vehicles (gas cans within themselves) don't explode.

Great idea about "under" the truck. Really should have thought of that on my own... oh well.

Another great idea with the tire valves/venting!

I did not know that about cold fuel ... interesting.

Thanks!
Daf

May 10, 2007
JD_MXRacer said:
If I were you I would bring a cooler. Thats what I do at the races. Its a fact that cold gas produces more hp at higher rpm's. It may only be .8 to 1 more hp but every little bit helps. Of course if you're just riding around with friends that really doesnt matter that much.

really? i cant see why it would.

im very skeptical...

EDIT was just thinking does it work like the cold air intakes just gas not the air.

new2biking95

Aug 2, 2008
ok i wouldnt think it would explode if you just open that little hole on the one end and let air out that might help. but idk ive heard of propane tanks exploding in a car but it was in the car it might be better in the back becuase the wind sheild/windows could act as a magnifier...ya

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
I don't think cold gas would act like a cold air intake. For one the second you put it in the bike it will heat back up again from the radiators. And two, more, colder, fuel doesn't mean anything unless you can get more, and colder, air, which is why they don't make or sell cold fuel intake kits for cars or bikes.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
Oh and good tip there ricky whether its yours or not. I've got some stem valves laying around from some previous experiments(inflating half filled water bottles to high pressures and throwing them)and I think I'm going to throw one of them onto my fuel can. :cool:

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
really? i cant see why it would.

im very skeptical...

EDIT was just thinking does it work like the cold air intakes just gas not the air.

im not too sure how it works either. Transworld mx did a test in one of their magazines. they had gas that was in a cooler and gas that was just sitting out. And after hookin up the bikes or however they do it to test the horsepower, they saw that at higher rpm's the bike with cooler gas produced anywhere from .5 to 1 whole horsepower more.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Considering most bikes produce way more power than their riders can really use in a meaningful way I don't see it being a big deal if you pickup 1hp.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
There's currently a bill in Congress on "dangerous" gas cans. . .

Gas Cans and Liberty
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig4/mcdarby5.html

"H.R. 814, Children's Gasoline Burn Prevention Act, introduced by Rep. Dennis Moore (D-Kansas) and Rep. Spencer Bachus (R-Alabama)"

I'd ask the Reps which section of the constitution authorizes the Fed Gov to regulate gas cans.

Exploding gas cans can't be far behind.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Drop the tailgate and put the can in the shade it provides. I always set my can on the ground in the shade of my vehicle. I move it a few times during the day when I'm taking breaks.

If you like the old cans, just buy a race fuel can.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/LC-5-GALLON-JUG-WITH-HOSE/?catalogId=107849&page=4&refine=1&srchHistoryURL=qpoo8eti||parentCategoryID~1^superParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~Dirt^categoryID~155^categoryName~Tools and Accessories

May 10, 2007
Not to be sold as a portable fuel container in states that require spill proof systems or have spill proof system regulations.
says it right underneath it.

i managed to buy a few before my state banned em.

ericz103

Aug 18, 2006
colder fuel doesn't help because its more dense. It helps because it cools the intake charge more, I would guess, not that I think it really matters much. Anyways, yea just put mine in the shade under the truck, does fine.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
Not to be sold as a portable fuel container in states that require spill proof systems or have spill proof system regulations.
says it right underneath it.

i managed to buy a few before my state banned em.

I wish I would have done that. The new cans are rediculous. You turn it over, push down on the funky spout and what happens? Usually nothing for a few seconds (unless it's been in the sun and is under pressure), then all of a sudden WOOOSH, out comes a gallon of gas in about 2 seconds. Not cool when you're filling the ol' push mower. What further chaps my ass is the small cans. I have a little chainsaw we use for clearing trails and the spout on the new cans doesn't even fit in the tank. You have to carry a funnel to put gas in it. :yell:

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
I was able to pick up a couple of the older/better cans at a garage sale this weekend. Got 2 2gal cans for $1 - can't beat that! :nod:

Daf

May 10, 2007
joe you can order cans that have the cap that's "leak free" (i always spill more because of them) and put a good cap on them. i dont know if they will vent though.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Just put it in the shade and crack the cap a little so it can outgas under pressure - what's the big deal? If you laugh and drink milk at the same time, it might come out your nose too - something to think about.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I picked up a couple of NATO fuel can's this week so that I can laugh at the new "standard" if it ever applies in Texas. I was sick and tired of the busted off vent cap on my diesel can allowing diesel to blow out on bumpy roads when riding in the back of my truck.

Daf

Jul 29, 2008
Hi Patman,

Pretty sure it already applies to Texas, that's where I am, as I can not buy the old style cans anymore. Altho the military/NATO style appear to comply with the new regulations. I'll have to check into that and see if I can find them locally ...thanks for the heads up!

Daf

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Actually the NATO can themselves appear to meet the criteria the issue is with the spouts as they have a special metal can with screw in CARB spout for thos areas that require it. I ordered my cans and they asked where I was from and said no problem except they were out of the NATO spouts which I ordered from another place which asked as well. I might be inclined to think the CARB can thing could be a local regulation much like the emissions check for state inspection. I seem to recall last time I was in Houston they had the CARB fittings on the gas pumps. Doesn't mateer anyway I got what I wanted which is NATO cans and spouts.

Top Bottom