JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
My son's "00" YZ 125 keeps hitting netural when shifting from 2 to 3. Anyone know whats the deal? Maybe a worn or damaged 3rd gear? Wouldn't a bent shift cam cause problems in more than one gear? Will I have to split cases?

B

biglou

I've seen a post or two about the "shift star", it looks like a front sprocket with larger and fewer teeth, being a culprit for this. The only thing is, I'm not sure if that bike has one. Maybe every bike has one? I don't have that knowledge yet! Anyhoo, if the shift star hangs up before a complete gear change, I believe it can cause this. The threads I've seen were dealing with people grinding and reshaping the points on this star, to aid in tricky shifting. One thing to try, although unrelated, is to ask him to make a very deliberate shift when going from 2-3 and see if that helps any. Might not fix the problem, but if he is aware of what gear he is in, it may help with riding/racing for the time being.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Thanks big L. I am in Maryland, and he is in Seattle so I won't be able to investigate till I get back. Today he said it will not go from 2-3 without hitting netural. After the netural is hit it will go to 3rd. Eric re-built the bottom end a little while ago, and he would be the guy to ask, but getting ahold of him is turning out to be tough.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
My bike was doing this and it turns out that the bolt that holds the star shifter assembly broke off inside the shift drum. It was a PITA for me to fix. I broke the easy out off inside the bolt because I did not use a larger one. I'll attach a pic of what mine looked like. The assembly was just to loose to allow in to say in a gear. I gave out on the trail and I finally got it to stick in second or third and hobbled back to the truck. Get in there and check things out before the assembly comes apart. Mine a bunch of little parts that would chew up a tranny quick fast an in a hurry. Yours should be something similar. Mine was located behind the cluch basket. The pick is taked with the basket removed. The arrow points to the piece of bolt left in the shift drum.

Attachments

• shift star bolt problem.jpg
    shift star bolt problem.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 114

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
Danman, thanks dude. This is just what I was looking for. A picture is worth well, you know. Again thanks

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom