Favor needed from someone in Iowa please...possible money involved

GisMo

Jun 11, 2004
Ok, here's the deal. I am trying to buy a dirtbike. I live in florida and the dirtbike is in Iowa. :/ The seller won't ship the bike. Crating is too expensive..$500+. What I've done in the past is take apart the bike and get it in to 5-6 boxes max and ship USPS.

The favor I need is someone in Iowa to pick up the bike after I pay for it and then break it down and send it to me(I pay shipping of course).

It in Danville, Iowa

Thanks in advance

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shipping doesn't cost $500+ Have someone in Iowa have the bike shipped. Most bikes can be shipped for about $200-$300. Email whyzee and he can give you some tips on shipping.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Sounds like a pretty big favor for someone who just joined :think:

I think you should provide more details before any of the Iowa crowd jumps in to help, and $500 does seem kinda steep for shipping!

GisMo

Jun 11, 2004
i looked online at some shipping companys that ship motorcycles and whatnot. prices were in the 500 range.

Where/how can i get a bike shipped for 200?? whats whyzee's email?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ya know, I don't think I'd even ask a good friend to go thru that hassle for me...

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Why can't you ask the seller to break it down, put it in boxes and ship it to you? If you offer to pay for the shipping I don't see why that won't work.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
GisMo said:
i looked online at some shipping companys that ship motorcycles and whatnot. prices were in the 500 range.

Where/how can i get a bike shipped for 200?? whats whyzee's email?
I doubt you will find anyone to ship for $200, but check the first post in this thread for national shipping companies.
If I lived in Iowa, I'd give ya a hand. :rotfl:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=88398

Offer the guy $200 to break down the bike + the cost of shipping if you want the bike in parts. Howevver, you should be able to ship the bike in a crate (provided by the shipper) for $400 - $600
I have a crate I'll be glad ship you and you can in return ship to the seller. Better yet, don't buy some POS off e-bunny... pick it up local.
They do still have bikes in Florida???

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Let's see if I understand. If I lived in Iowa and wanted to help out, I would need to:

1) Get in touch with you and the seller to make a battle plan

2) Drive from my house to the sellers, make arrangements & small talk, load bike, drive home

3) Unload bike, get my tools out, disassemble the bike and put my tools away

4) Find suitable boxes and packing material

5) Box and wrap all the stuff

6) Drive to the UPS Store or Post office, Carry all the boxes in (the motor will probably weigh 60 pounds or so) and fill out all the forms for shipping/insurance.

Is that it?

Basically you are asking someone to spend 8+ hours of their time helping you out. Okie is right, I would not even ask a friend to do it.

BTW, if you somehow scam the seller via bogus payment arrangments, the good samaritan is now your accomplice.

GisMo

Jun 11, 2004
I am asking a lot, and i dont expect anyone to jump on it, but I figured it wont hurt anyone

All seller want is to just sell the bike..collect cash and buyer just picks it up.
"I dont want to boxs or break down in parts. But, if you get someone to pick up thats
fine. as long as all I have to do is show them the way to it."

I haven't been able to find much in my local area for my price range.. :/

thanks all for the feedback :)

Weld it

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2001
I am in the process of shipping a bike to Florida from Iowa
and it is costing me $252.00 guaranteed 3 day shipment.
Using CCX / conway but I am running through the company I work for since we use them quite regularly. I have got quotes
for $ 296.00 on up by calling other shipping companies on my own.
I am using a crate from the local dealer put the bike in it
and ship complete.

Weld it

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
If all the seller is willing to do is "show them the way to it (the bike)" someththing seems amiss. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a bad deal for you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom