FCR Flatslide Carb on 2 stroke, KX500 ?

IridiumRed

Sep 19, 2004
Hey Guys

Love the site. I recently bought a 97 KX500, been getting lots of good information for it here

question - I've got a Keihin FCR41 (41 mm flatslide race carb..... basically as nice as carbs get!!). I bought it to use on my KLX650 dual purpose bike, but now i'm wondering, could I use this on the KX500?

I know i'd have to screw with the jetting, but i wonder if it would help with some of the jetting issues that the KX500 is known for?? It has a large (but somewhat adjustable) accelerator pump built in.....

I'm new to 2strokes (know a bit about 4 strokes), and I know that the FCR's are LOVED on 4strokes, but never heard of someone using one on ANY 2 stroke............

Of course, the 41 might be too big, but I could always get a 37 or 39.... they're way easier to find anyways

thanks!!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Doesn't that bike already have a 39.5mm Keihin PWK on it? If it does, I wouldn't change it!
That FCR definately will not run correctly on the KX500!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Accelerator pumps, fuel enrichment circuits, constant vacuum slide setups, hot-restart circuits, and air jets don't work too well with 2-strokes..... ;)

Silly question, but hey man, you learned something, huh? :nener:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
IridiumRed said:
i wonder if it would help with some of the jetting issues that the KX500 is known for??
thanks!!

I'm of the opinion that the KX5's jetting issues are more a product of a poorly shaped head & porting.

I know both of my 01 KX5's run great, but both of them are EG 520's with reshaped heads.

IridiumRed

Sep 19, 2004
Well, at least i try to ask NEW silly questions.... rather than just the same old silly questions over and over and over.... (I always try SEARCH first!! )

:)

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Farmer John said:
I'm of the opinion that the KX5's jetting issues are more a product of a poorly shaped head & porting.

I know both of my 01 KX5's run great, but both of them are EG 520's with reshaped heads.

Bingo! :cool:

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
Farmer John said:

:cool: Same mod here, but did not cure the jetting issues. :pissed: That took me about a year to sort out. :bang:

Top Bottom