Fear after 30

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I bent the shifter out a little and rotated it up so even in 1st it is above my foot. To shift I lift my foot off the peg and pull up with my knee or step down as needed. Removing my foot from the peg is awkward and the lack of feeling is a minor problem. For most hillclimbs I cannot shift on the hill. I strongly urge other amputees to take up dirtriding! Unlike almost any other exercise there are no blisters involved. And the view is great! ;)

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I strongly urge other amputees to take up dirtriding! Unlike almost any other exercise there are no blisters involved. And the view is great!

As a person with a very tiny handicap - I definitely agree with you. I have asthma, and have always dealt with being last in any sport - no matter how hard I trained (some people can work around it, others can't).

The first time rode a bike, it was incredible! The ability to keep up with my friends was only based on ABILITY, not endurance. I felt the wind on my face without being winded. What a wonderful thing!

It's surprising that more physically challenged people don't take up the sport. Maybe they just don't think of it as an option?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Rogue,
You shifting style is to be admired. It's actually the correct way to shift for all folks.

On the fear issue...I find that having the proper protective gear makes me mentally stronger. Especially my knee braces. I wouldn't consider jumping anything without my knee braces.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I find that fear keeps me from getting hurt. I have to ride very fast bikes so I will repect them. Small bore bikes don't scare me, and I always crash on them.:confused:
Strick- I'm willing to bet that you and I have the same idea of what type of 60' jump we're willing to do: it's called 'hit the slight rise in the fire road at 80 M.P.H. and see how far I can go', as opposed to how high.:D

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
At this point for me, my primary concern is missed time at work and non-healing injuries. I have been doing this so long that if I was our of the game for a month or two, it wouldn't be a big deal. Heck, I haven't ridden for about 3 weeks...can't get away from the computer!:cool:

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
One to two years after I lost my leg I was one of the fastest of the L.A. area canyon racers. I went to racing schools and did not care if I died. I carried a gun in case I was only badly injured. When you ride like there is no tomorrow you learn fast. Thank God I am not like that now!

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
One to two years after I lost my leg I was one of the fastest of the L.A. area canyon racers. I went to racing schools and did not care if I died. I carried a gun in case I was only badly injured. When you ride like there is no tomorrow you learn fast. Thank God I am not like that now!

Wow! Does it give you shivvers to think of how easily you could have died? My husband was a Navy Seal before I met him. Getting him to lose that "death is okay" mindset was difficult. In fact, it still shows up occasionally.

My mind has never worked that way, so it's hard for me to empathise or even understand it. I can see the draw of it though. It would be wonderful to be free of the fear of death and even injury - what a rush!

Top Bottom