whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nice challenge on that bike! Its got brakes? They did not sell pipes like that in what, early 70's or late 60's? DT models I remember, but the 2? And the suspension looks a lot bigger than the oem era. Do you do your own fabrication on hard to get parts? If it is a factory, or one off, how else do you get parts?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Bundy.

Looks like a stock DT2 to me.

Someone laced a set of Akronts or similar rims to it and fitted a pair of Pirelli tires and an aftermarket, possibly a Bassani pipe. But, the frame and everything else looks stock.

Looking at the size of the rear sprocket, they probably ran it on a short track.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Ol'89r said:
Bundy.

Looks like a stock DT2 to me.

Someone laced a set of Akronts or similar rims to it and fitted a pair of Pirelli tires and an aftermarket, possibly a Bassani pipe. But, the frame and everything else looks stock.

Looking at the size of the rear sprocket, they probably ran it on a short track.
Thats what I thought too. But we ran the vin at Malcolm Smiths one day and it came back as having been sold in Japan. It is a 72 model but the prefix for a us model is DT2, this one says DT1F.
If you look at the left side panel there is no hole for the up pipe to snake through. And then there is the color, all black with the baby blue strips and Yamaha on the tank and fenders.
Only thing I can figure is that maybe a returning serviceman brought it home?
I got from Dana at Dana Marine and he said he raced it at Ascot.

bundy

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
mxbundy said:
Thats what I thought too.
I got from Dana at Dana Marine and he said he raced it at Ascot.
bundy

Bunster.

If he raced it at Ascot he most likely raced it on the TT track. The fact that it has a front brake would verify that.

By 1972 most everyone was using the Yamaha twin cylinder engines in the Novice class on the half mile. (Novice-250cc class) Special racing frames, Sonic-weld and TrackMaster frames were already the norm. Wheels were usually special built wheels with knock-off sprocket hubs built by a man named Howard Barnes. Most guys ran Cerrani forks. The half mile bikes were very special.

On the TT track, they still ran the singles. There were several DT1's and DT2's. I rode a DT1 myself a few times on the TT. It didn't look like that one though. :ohmy:

Good luck with your project. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. :cool:

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hilts said:
I like that 465
This one? :p

yz465sterlyn018.jpg

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I used to know guys who drove over 6 hours one way to go to Canada for the YZ's with white plastics, the aftermarket ones were really bad at the time. Everyone had yellow, yuck! That is one mean 450f eater Bundy, very nice.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Ol'89r said:
Bunster.

If he raced it at Ascot he most likely raced it on the TT track. The fact that it has a front brake would verify that.

By 1972 most everyone was using the Yamaha twin cylinder engines in the Novice class on the half mile. (Novice-250cc class) Special racing frames, Sonic-weld and TrackMaster frames were already the norm. Wheels were usually special built wheels with knock-off sprocket hubs built by a man named Howard Barnes. Most guys ran Cerrani forks. The half mile bikes were very special.

On the TT track, they still ran the singles. There were several DT1's and DT2's. I rode a DT1 myself a few times on the TT. It didn't look like that one though. :ohmy:

Good luck with your project. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. :cool:

terry,

I have decided to restore this bike with a twist. I am going to make it street legal, that way I can keep it in its dirt track setup and it would make a cool grocery getter! :ride:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Those are some nice restores Bundy. Wish I had one of those. :nod:

About the value the these restores - the Vintage Husky guy says that unless you restore exactly as it originally was, the old beasts worth next to nothing (at least the Husky's). However, it doesn't seem to make much sense to restore these bikes to "museum" quality if you're going the ride them and thrash them anyway. My gargage isn't a museum.

Anyway...I'll just keep going ahead with my "restore" and see where it takes me. I don't feel like taking the rims off and powder coating them gold (like it was back in the '70's). Maybe I'll leave that for the next guy... :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom