Fireplace question (how to seal)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
We have a brick fireplace that is set up for wood burning that we do not use. I closed the vent many years ago but always got a draft so I took a piece of foam insulation and put caulk around the edge to seal it. That stopped the draft completely. Well, now the wife want's unvented gas logs so I need to take the foam out and will be left with the cast iron flap vent closure that is drafty (new gas logs will burn the foam).

Is there any type of High temp sealer that could stand up to the flames that I can use to seal the cast iron flap up and stop the draft when I'm not burning the logs? I figure someone here will know because you guys have always come up with some great ideas.

Thanks!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Maybe my air leak is a good thing?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Talk to a pro. The chances for CO poisoning is NOT worth the risk besides the actual fire risk. CO poisoning is oderless and tasteless, just DEAD in a matter of hours. Get a good quality CO detector and ALWAYS replace the battery when it begins to "chirp". CO detectors RARELY false so always, always evacuate the area when it goes into alarm.
Fire places are great (wish I had one myself) but they come with some hefty risk, definitely contact a pro.

Top Bottom