gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Spent a few hours out on my new to me '90 KX500 today. First of all, it's a boring hill climb machine. I think my 73 yr old mom could climb hills on it! Too easy. OK, that's good.

Second, it's geared too fast for riding w/my 6 yr old son & the seat height is too high. Those are easy fixes. Kicking that mutha over first thing in the day isn't so fun. I don't imagine there's an electric starter for these beasts. :whiner:

The previous owner claimed he'd send me a Clymer manual for it, but until then A) is there a compression adjuster on the forks and B) what tools do you use to adjust the sag on the rear shock.

And finally, it surges at low RPM and/or idle. I tried to search the archives for this item, but had no luck. I believe the top end has been rebuilt recently.... it's got *great* compression. Any ideas?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Too lean of a pilot jet. Go up a size and try that. Unless it is different from all of the other 1990's MX bikes, it should have compression and rebound adjustments. The compression being on the bottom of the fork (the top of the shock) and the rebound being on the top of the fork (the bottom of the shock by the linkage).

Top Bottom