first oil change on 250f, have dumb questions

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
well its the first oil change since i bought my used 02 250f and i have some kind of dumb questions about doing it. i drained the oil out of the frame, case and went to change the filter but the guy at the parts store gave me the wrong filter, but do you have to change filters every time you change the oil? i thought i remember reading you can clean the filters a few times by backflushing them, is this true? i would return the filter but i lost the reciept for it. how much oil do these bikes hold? i think i read in the service manual 1.70 quarts? so almost 2 quarts? and finally when i went to remove the oil strainer i couldnt get it to come apart, i removed the hose clamp but do you have to loosen the nut above it,? i dont think the service manual is very clear on some things and im paranoid about messing up this engine.

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I've had my 02 YZ250F about a month now...and 3 oil changes. You can reuse the stock filter a good 4-5 times before you chuck it. I'm not positive but the nut above the frame oil filter does hold the filter I beileve. I've not had mine off because twisting that nut sounded scary: ie, literally, the nut didn't want to come off so I didn't argue. I filled mine with 1.7 qts. and it showed real high on the dip stick so I backed some off. You need to check out the frequently asked questions on Thumpertalk.com in the Yz250F forum. It's right at the top of the forum and says Attn. New Owners. Down the list of things is a link for the FAQ section that has a lot of good specifics. You can also downloan a 03 factory manual if you didn't get one with yours because the 03 is similar enough to make it worthwhile in most situations. I absolutely love my baby YZF! It's the best bike I've owned and I've gotten a new bike every year for the past 4 years. I'm keeping this one!

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
forget about pulling the strainer out of the bottom of the frame, you won't find anything there. It's job is to stop large items that may have been dropped down the oil filler plug. Stuff like screwdrivers :)

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
does the oil filter only go on one way? im dumb and forgot what side was facing out when i took it out. does the open side face awau from the engine? im almost sure it can only go on one way but like i said i paranoid about messing up this engine.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
the hole in the filter sits on the filter cover. i don't think it would even close with the hole facing the engine.

Worrying is a big waste of time. Don't worry, be happy!

Singularo

Oct 15, 2000
Checkout this page, which has lots of details about oil changing. http://www.dirtbike.ws/drupal/node/view/454

But i'd have to agree, I never take the oil filter from the frame out.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Actually... DO take the oil strainer out of the frame and inspect/clean it!!!!!

I did a ring job on my '03 250F 4-6 weeks ago and decided to clean the frame oil strainer while I was ripping it apart. Red had to help break the nut loose for me as the frame paint really made it tight on the frame. It's a real big nut, too... I think a 17mm or 19mm? To my surprise I found a few pieces of tree/branch like stuff stuck in my oil strainer. It was really funny to me because I have NEVER been in any kind of woods with my bike. So beats me how it got in there but I would recommend cleaning it once in a while - maybe every 10-15 oil changes.

Like Boozer said - the filter will only fit one direction so there is basically no way to put it on wrong and bolt the filter cover back on.

Top Bottom