paper racer

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Not only was this my first race but my first time on an actual track. During the practice there was one jump that was a long double for the pros but a 7 or 8 ft drop for the beginners. My first time over I hit my visor on the crosspad. After 4 laps I realized the beginners could go around it. At the starting gate I couldn't believe how close the handlebars between the bikes are. I was about mid pack off the start and got stuck behind a very erratic rider. I was taking the bad lines to go around him and he would cut over from the good line and almost ride me off the track. In an S turn on the first lap we got together and I went down. By the time I got up and the bike started I was down at least half a lap. I managed to pass 4 people before the end of the race. The guy I made contact with did a cartwheel off a jump on the first lap and had to leave the track. The 2nd moto I wanted a better start so I gave some more gas which resulted in doing a wheely of the start. But the bike stayed straight and I think freaked out the guys on either side of me. As soon as I got the front wheel down there was a 4 bike pileup in front of me that I barely missed.  It was the last race of the day so the track was pretty beat up. I came in 9th overall of 18 riders for the day. I learned alot of things on that day.

1. I love braking bumps                                                                               

2. I need better starts

3. I need to practice jumps with steep faces

4. I need to improve shifting while standing mainly over rough sections

5. my cardio is good but I need to be better conditioned( my legs neck, back and shoulders were sore the next day but no arm pump)

Anyways I had a great time and it gave me ideas on how to improve and get better.

P.S I have a 91 YZ250 easily the oldest bike by about 10 years

Top Bottom