TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I am a complete newbie to dirtbikes, or all motorcycles for that matter. I bought my used KDX almost two months ago. Between teaching my son to ride his JR50 and work/family/etc, I never got a chance to really ride the thing. Until yesterday!

We logged about 25 miles yesterday afternoon, mostly on trails with lots of ruts, mud, rocks and roots. I crashed. Lots. 1 bent brake lever, 1 bent shifter, 1 torn seat cover, several new scratches and dings, and multiple bruises (on me, not the bike).

It was awesome! I’ve got a lot of learning to do, but it was super fun. Today I feel like I got my ass whooped, which I guess I did. Anyway, wanted to share the excitement. Thanks to all on here that have offered up advice to get me at least this far...

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
Make me want to scream Yahooo lets ride but the rest of the office would frown on that what the heck! Yahooooo Let's riiiiiide.

Jim

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Glad to hear you had fun. The crashing is a (painful) part of learning. But this too shall pass, at least for the most part :-)

Pick up a pair of the Tusk Bark Busters from RockyMountainMC. For $20 they will save you many sets of levers. If you haven't already torn the bike apart and greased it all up there is no time like now :-) If you don't already have gear, a helmet and riding boots are the bare minimum for armor..if you can afford it knee guards, chest protector, etc all make the crashing part of learn a lot less painful.

-Maurice

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
m0rie said:
Pick up a pair of the Tusk Bark Busters from RockyMountainMC. For $20 they will save you many sets of levers. If you haven't already torn the bike apart and greased it all up there is no time like now :-) If you don't already have gear, a helmet and riding boots are the bare minimum for armor..if you can afford it knee guards, chest protector, etc all make the crashing part of learn a lot less painful.

-Maurice
When I bought the bike I set aside some funds for the gear. I’ve got everything except knee/shin pads, which are #1 on my current shopping list after yesterday. :laugh: Some Bark Busters are #2....

At first I felt silly wearing all the fancy gear (not yet dirty) like I was pro-guy or something, but I got over that REAL fast.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Every non-dirtbike rider thinks your a posser in all that gear, but like you say, one ride and you KNOW. It's all there for good reason.
Follow the advice and links here to maintain your bike and don't worry too much about the cosmetics like scratched plastic or torn seat covers. Every one tells a story you can recall later around a campfire.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Quite a few of my buddies ride quads and give me a LOT of grief for my riding gear. But when they flip over (rare) they make a really big deal about it...if I go ass over tea kettle ..... wellthey sayI was just going too fast......... Yup I was, but I had tons more fun then they did. :aj:

Jul 22, 2004
kmccune said:
Quite a few of my buddies ride quads and give me a LOT of grief for my riding gear. But when they flip over (rare) they make a really big deal about it...if I go ass over tea kettle ..... wellthey sayI was just going too fast......... Yup I was, but I had tons more fun then they did. :aj:

nicely said :cool:

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I smoked a tree this year. I hit it with my shoulder and was probably going around 30 mph. I know ppl that ride without a helmet. dumb. But the tree got me good. My doctor asked if I was wearing protection. I was - full turtle shell with shoulder pads.

He told me that's the only reason my shoulder is repairable. I don't care what others think, sometimes I even wash my gear so it's like new. Posser? No, protected, yes.

BTW, the bark buster have a much more important use than saving levers - saving your hands from rocks out the backend of another bike or quad.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Excellent!

Well done on your first ride! I have yet to do anything with my brand new KDX except bash around on the motocross track and TT oval...

I watched this show on OLN the other day called dirtbike adventures and a whole group of people were riding the trails of Kauai and it looked like an ABSOLUTE BLAST! (I wouldn;t mind riding with some of the women in that group too) LoL!

But seriously, there were some very technical trails in the hills that were overgrown with trees, muddy, and narrow and even though it looked difficult as hell, It still looked like the most fun ever!

I can;t wait for my first real trail ride!

Thanks for posting!

Feanor

Top Bottom