First Ride - '06 CRF 250 in the snow

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Picked up an '06 CRF 250, after riding an '03 YZ 250F for the past three years. I loved everything about my YZ 250F, so I was a little nervous about getting a new bike. Especially when I started reading about this "bog" on the new CRF from another site that many owners were experiencing due to the bigger carb on the '06 model.

Well, I woke up this morning, and saw the forecast calling for 3-4 inches of snow today. It had already started to snow, so I hurried and put in a few break-in laps.

First impression - I really like the new bike! I've ridden the '04 and '05 CRF 250, and wasn't all that impressed with the motor, compared to my Yamaha, as the Honda seemed to lack a little low end punch on a tighter track. Well, the '06 power feels great, very comparable to my Yamaha. For example, with stock gearing and exhaust, I had no problem coming around a tight turn in second and hitting an uphill double out of the turn. So that put a smile on my face. Also, no bog issue, so that was another plus. And the CRF's have always handled great, as does the '06, so I'm very happy with my decision.

Leaving this week for Florida - for a long riding trip. Should get plenty of seat time on new CRF! Can't wait! :ride:

Here are a few pictures from today:

Attachments

• 100_2778s.JPG
    100_2778s.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_2781s.JPG
    100_2781s.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_2786s.JPG
    100_2786s.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 302

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A few more - if you look closely, you can see snowflakes.

Attachments

• 100_2793s.JPG
    100_2793s.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_2787s.JPG
    100_2787s.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 100_2791s.JPG
    100_2791s.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 301

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Good job Nikki! :cool: I knew you would come over sooner or later! :p :p

Josh is already riding my 450 so I am sure it won't be long b4 he is wanting the thumper.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Just curious as why you changed from YZF to CRF? Why didn't you get a new YZF? Did you just feel like you wanted something different? I'm j/w, but the riding looks like fun..

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Nice graphics. :cool:

Snow? It was 70 degrees here today. :nener:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Philip said:
Good job Nikki! :cool: I knew you would come over sooner or later! :p :p

hard to imagine her on anything other than blue. better build a bigger trophy shelf. ;)

the bank thermometer here said 82. if it's correct, it should be a record high.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Nice Skoot, question, have you been able too tell the difference w/the twin pipes as far as the bike feeling balanced?? or is it just hogwash??
Rick

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
highflyernick - why the switch.... lots of reasons. My husband switched from Yamaha thumpers to Honda thumpers back in '02, and has been trying to get me on a Honda ever since. Plus most all of our riding buddies are on them too. And Service Honda is one of the top Honda shops in the nation (home of killer custom bikes by DRN Mod AJ Waggoner - like the CR 500 AF, CR 500 AFX, and the CRF 250 JR) so what better place to get a new ride. Mainly, having access to Honda parts, having good support, and yeah, a change is nice too. I considered a new '06 YZF but the reviews weren't up to my liking (like the '06 is said to lack low-end punch like the previous Yamaha 250F's), and the CRF just handles so nice. Lastly, I've owned blue, yellow, and green bikes... time to give a red one a try. And after my ride yesterday, I'm very happy with my decision. Now, I just hope the valves hold up as well as my Yamaha 250F, which never had a valve out of clearance in the three years I had it.

I should have taken a picture of the track yesterday around 3 pm - we already had three inches of snow! I can't wait to see some palm trees on Thursday! JP and 547, 70's and 80's sound awesome!

rickyd - I can't really tell a difference (yet) with the twin pipes in the bike balance, don't really have enough time on it yet. But Red had no problem staying nice and straight on it while hammering through a long whoop section. Probably helps that he's 6'4" though!

:ride:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
:yikes: A HONDA?!

It's okay Nikki, I forgive you!

That is a nice looking bike though! Enjoy it!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
What?? No flower stickers? If you have to compare it to a Yamaha, then buy a Yamaha!! :nener: Just kidding, nice ride! I'm sure you'd be fast on anything your riding. :cool:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Don't worry, I put pink/yellow flower stickers on the sidepanels last night! :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Nik -

are you staying dual exhaust?

and if you wanna "girlie" it up, you gotta get a helmet like this:

attachment.php

Dang, I just realized that pic is almost three years old!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Pred, tell buttercup I want that lid!!

Just from my first ride, the bike doesn't seem to be lacking power anywhere, so I'm gonna stay with the stock dual exhaust for now.

Flowers added. Shaved the seat some too - this sucker is tall!

Attachments

• 000_0011m.JPG
    000_0011m.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 181

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
So how tall are ya Nik! Josh is about 5-2 and growing like a weed. I told him he has to wait a year for 250 but we may have to move up sooner if he does not stop growing. He rides the 450 if I hold it or he uses a block. 2-3 more inches and he could reach the ground comfortably. I have not been side by side with my 450 and a 250 but i would imagine they are the same hieght?????

To be honest he rides the bigger bike more aggresive than his 85. I think he is going to be one of them riders that does better on the bigs than the mini's. :cool:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Philip - I'm 5'5" and it's a little tall for me. We did shave the seat down about 3/4" (you can tell in that last picture with the black seat cover) and got the sag adjusted and all of that, turned on the clickers some, but it's still fairly stiff/tall feeling. It really sits similar to the 450, just a little lighter. Pretty cool that Josh is already doing laps on the 450!

We just got home from a extended Florida/southern trip. 8 days of riding/racing at 7 different tracks. I'm digging the new ride, but still trying to get comfortable on it like I was on my YZ 250F that I had for 3+ years. I'll get there, just taking a little longer than I thought it would. Just trying to get the suspension/handling in control, might need lighter springs. And the power is very good on the CRF, but I find myself in between 2nd and 3rd gear a lot on tighter tracks, which is a little tricky, as I haven't really shifted gears in over 3 years :ohmy:

Here's a photo from Casey:

Attachments

• 100_3059s.JPG
    100_3059s.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom