Lee520

Feb 19, 2001
First of all if you want the short version, Get Your Name on a List To Get The New 450 EXC, MXC or SX you will not regret it.

For the last year and a half I have been riding a 01 520 MXC. I could not get the suspension to work for me so I had new springs in the front and rear and revalved both. By the way I weigh 190 without my gear and 200 or 205 with. I also had to change the stock tank to a Clark which worked much better especially in the tight stuff.

Today I took the 450 EXC out to the Tillamook, Oregon area where they have a good combination of tight trails, rocky hill-climbs and some wide open trails.
The power on the 450 is awesome, it is right in between the 400 and the 520. On the tight trails it was great because I never felt out of control even if I grabbed too much throttle. On a couple of hills I never had to worry about power in fact I was shifting up to the next gear on a few of them. 1st gear is way low and second is ok but in the tight trails I wanted a little lower gear ratio, like a 51 or 52 on the back, comes with a 50. Then I could use 2nd and 3rd a little more. The bike had plenty of power even if you lugged it down in 2nd or 3rd. Not like the 520 but still very usable. Since I was breaking it in I keep my top speed down but it feels like there will be plenty when you need it. Again not as much as the 520 but more then I will need.

I was always uncomfortable in the tight stuff on my 520 but not on this 450. It is almost like night and day. The 450 is very slim almost like an SX model and it turns great. I did not even set my sag and the forks were at the top of the triple clamps, so it might get better with some experimenting. The weight is about the same as last years but it sure feels lighter and you can throw it around with no problem. I can not believe the difference.

The suspension worked very well and I think I can work with the stock springs and setup. The front was very stable and after a couple of adjustment with the clickers they were fine, they did not dive and soaked up all the small stuff with no harshness. The rear felt good and tracked real well so for now I will leave it alone.

Some little things I noticed, the brakes were better. The rear did not grab as much and the front was real strong. The hubs and the frame are gold and the hubs are bigger. The gas tank is only 2.4 but after 36 miles I still had half a tank so I am sure I can get 50 miles before reserve which will be fine. The new Digital speedometer is way cool but will take some time to figure out, have to read the book. The power is very smooth and no lag or hesitation on the bottom and the jetting seems just about right, I was at about 1500 ft and 70 degrees today. You may be able to get more with jetting but I will save that for another day.

Well that's about it for now, sorry I have gone on so long but I know a lot of people are curious about this bike.

One last thing I Do Not Miss My 520 At All.

Lee

Cappy

Nov 30, 2000
I just picked up mine last night. The setup took quite sometime because it bike came with very little (if any) grease in the critical places. If you haven't already, check your steering head, swingarm, and wheel bearings. I still have some jetting and carb work to do before I can ride, as the Euro bikes come from the factory restricted and unfortunately my jet and needle pack was missing!!! :ugg:

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Lee520,

Have ordered my 450 and currently ride a 520EXC. Found the 520 a bit too much and tricky in Enduro especially when the going is slick: 1mm too much throttle=dumped on butt!

Does the 450 feel 'lighter' and more controllable than the 520?

I like the idea that I'll not have to worry so much about winding on the power.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Now this sounds like a great KTM! Not the "pork" we have been rambling about.

No doubt KTM payed attention here. Glad to hear they sorted out the suspension.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Sounds great!! Thanks for the write up.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
YZ 450F is a 4-speed tranny. The 520SX sales have always been a little sub-par IMO, because of this. Now the WR 450F has a 5 speed AND electric start!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by johnpace2
No YZ 450F for you Ivan?

What did you ever do with your old WR 250?

John

Traded it in on the YZ250F.

I'm considering an upgrade this spring but I want a 4 or 5 speed tranny and e-start. I wonder if KTM is going to make a 450MXC so I can have something for Harescrambles and MX.

I'm not a fan of a 6 speed b/c I do not like to shift that much.

Ivan

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
How does the 450 EXC compare to the 400 EXC in the tight stuff (I ride in the hills of North Central PA)? I'm concerned that the 450 might be too much. I rode a 400 and it seemed pretty good but just a tad soft right off the bottom (I'm presently riding a XR 600 and 250 in the woods but am considering going Orange for the first time). Don't know if I'll get the 450 or save some $ on a left over 400. Any comments? Thanks for the input.

tightwoods

Last edited:

Cappy

Nov 30, 2000
The 450 seems to track better through the turns, but that may be due to the fact that with the flatter seat/tank combo you can really get up on the front end quickly. As for the suspension, I think the forks are much more plush, with far less friction throughout the compression stroke. I can't comment much on the rear end, as I'm still swapping out springs to match my weight (185lbs). The motor does not seem significantly different from the '01 400 bike but I'm still messing with the jetting there as well.
My advice if you can get a steal on the '02 buy it, otherwise the '03 is the way to go!

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Originally posted by Cappy
I still have some jetting and carb work to do before I can ride, as the Euro bikes come from the factory restricted and unfortunately my jet and needle pack was missing!!! :ugg: [/B]

Cappy - I've never owned a KTM before but I'm considering a new 450 EXC. What is involved with "unrestricting" the bike? Do the US models come with a jetting kit? Thanx.

tightwoods

Cappy

Nov 30, 2000
The Euro ECX bikes come "street legal" so when you get them you have to take the restrictor screw out of the carb slide, remove the breather canister from the air box, replace the needle jet and punch out the screen blocking the end of the exhaust. Otherwise, you can only open the trottle about 1/2 way and the bike runs like a dog!In the US market, the bikes do not have all the street stuff to contend with. But then again, the US bikes don't come with turn indicators and all the other nice to have "dual sport" parts.

Lee520

Feb 19, 2001
Last week I changed the stock jetting to a OCEMN needle at the 3rd clip down and a 168 main jet. This gave the 450 better bottom and mid range with good top end. One big difference was the bike ran a lot cooler. I may try the #4 position and a 170 main to see if that makes any improvements.

Lee

Z215

Sep 10, 2001
I noticed that the MXC has a 3.5 gal. tank while EXC has 2.6...Anyone know why they went larger on MXC, I would think the other way. The larger tank comes up higher and looks like it would be harder to get up on. If I get one maybe I will get an EXC tank for it. I'm leaning towards the MXC for the close ratio tranny, I race CC in Texas pretty similar to HS. Any opinions on this idea?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'm not sure if you're talking 2 stroke or 4 stroke but I can tell you that the 03 450EXC tank on my bike held exactly 2.096 gallons. I had an IMS tank (holds 3.188) from my 01 400E that went on right away so I only measured it so I'd know.

I tried the RFS MXC tank on my 400 and found it to be too wide. Made it hard to stay forward. I sold it after one day.

Top Bottom