First ride in 20 years

MinnesotaJim

Sep 16, 2002
Finally after doing the college, marriage, house and kid thing, I found my way back to riding. My last dirt bike was a 1978 IT 175 that I thought was a great bike back then.

I just bought a 1986 KDX 200. It had been stored 10 years. It is like new, everything is original including the tires. Even the original chain and sprockets are in good shape.

The first ride was great, I forgot how much fun riding was.

Anyway, the original tires are cracked bad. I need some suggestions on buying new tires.

Glad to be back in the dirt again.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Welcome back to the all-consuming sport. :thumb:

You may want to contact someone who rides the same terrain as you. I know of at least one Minnesotan, JEB, who could probably offer some good tire suggestions.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
If the tires are cracked, and the bike has been stored.. I'd recommend doing some pretty extensive checking over of the bike. I'd first drain all the gas, and get some new stuff in it. Clean the carb out, you'll have gum in there for sure.. The bottom end of the crank is my big worry, after sitting that long there is bound to be some corrosion of the bearings, which means a very expensive repair in the near future. Be really careful with this bike, it could be a ticking time bomb.

Have fun, and welcome back!

Jon!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Pirelli MT44 is good for all conditions up front. Michelin s12 is good front also. IRC ve33 is good all around for rear and wears longer than most. Michelin S12 rear is good in soft stuff but doesn't wear as well in rocks and such. I started riding again after 20 or so years and it is by far the best thing i have ever done. just wish I had never quit.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…