First ride on my new (to me) KDX250

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
I got to take the beast out today and see how it performs for the first time. I re-jetted it and I seemed to have gotten the richness under control and had no problems with that. I rode in a small area that didn't allow me to get past 3rd gear very much, but with just that I could feel some serious power in the bike. I was amazed at how easily it climebed steep technical hills. It was like a mountain goat! I kept looking for more hills to climb!

The bike gets a bad rap for the weight, which I didn't really notice too much (I'm coming off an XR250) except when I had to pick it up after dumping it.

The other bad rap it gets is the front suspension. I have such limited experience with dirtbikes that I didn't really think it was that bad. I suppose if I ride my buddies WR450 and then hop back on mine I'd see it, but for now I'm not too worried about. I've been looking at KX forks up for auction, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

All in all I had a blast. Fun bike, tore up the trails and hills with no problems. I didn't want to leave, but the wife kept leaving voice-mails... something about kids and dinner....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I really enjoyed my '91 KDX250 after I got it set up right, and preferred it to my dialed in '90 KDX200 for about 95% of the trails I would ride. Good to hear you are enjoying yours.

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
Dirt bike Dave,
I know you used to have one.... I think most of the information I have on my bike came from you and one other guy (matt something). So thanks for the tips you supplied!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Duc,
I am glad someone was helped by the info. An old riding buddy of mine who is an expert with bike set-up did all the hard work on his '92, and I just borrowed from him for my '91. All bikes benefit from careful set-up for you and your specific riding areas, but the KDX250 benefits more than most.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…