mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
I am looking to go out to the sand dunes this summer and I need to know what my setup should be on a 1992 Kawasaki KX500. I'm in the process of rebuilding it from top to bottom right now so I want to get this one perfect. :)

Last edited:

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Well i'd just rebuild the motor to factory specs. Suspension and riding style will have a lot more to do with how much you enjoy it. Just get it jetted correctly and go enjoy it.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Some people jet a little richer in sand due to the load as well as drop the air pressure in your tires for floatation.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Sand is my favorite place to ride...Just make sure and stay on the gas as if you don't you will bog...I don't use a paddle tire just my regular tire. It is awesome to ride just after it rains too....Have fun!

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Remember that he has a KX500. It won't bog in the sand as it has plenty of torque.

Sand riding is like driving a boat. Your bike will wallow in the sand at low speeds, make lots of roost and dig trenches. It won't steer properly. It will plow through the sand, and you might even have to duck walk it at first. It'll shake it's head left and right. Then, once you put a bit of speed in, it'll come up on plane and float across the sand. The front will still shake this way and that, but once it gets on top of the sand it'll take off like a jet.

Air pressure is critical only if you are racing: 20 PSI is probably plenty for both front and rear. Good knobs are best, but paddle tire is better if you can pick up a spare wheel...

The KX500 is, I am told, one of the best sand dune bikes out there, as-is from the factory.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Run the sag a little looser in the sand and mud. Wet sand is the best sand. Double check your airbox is sealed up good. The stock seal on all dirtbikes at the box to rear boot is questionable new?

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Rode sand again this last weekend with my friend...she had little experience and hit the bottom of a dune and split her jaw wide open on the handlebars...with a helmet on...she had surgery returned to the dunes and sat at camp so make sure you have a pad on your handlebars....Helmet didn't save the jaw...Pad may have. She kept saying to herself stay on the throttle,stay on the throttle...but forgot to let off throttle and jump off bike when she went down...one tough chick!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
ws6transam said:
Air pressure is critical only if you are racing: 20 PSI is probably plenty for both front and rear.

Plenty is an understatement, I don't think I've ever had 20 psi in a dirt bike tire other than when seating a bead after changing tires.

Normal riding we run 14 in the rear and 13 in the front, on a sand track we race at we will drop the rear to 10 or 11.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
99raptor said:
You have to get your sack up on the gascap if you wanna really turn it.
You never tried wfo and hanging your "sack" on the rear fender, and keep the front light? Sand corners are fun! Other than trying to eat the top of the triple clamp, you can fall a lot and not get hurt. And the wet sand set up is the opposite of dry.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Chili said:
Plenty is an understatement, I don't think I've ever had 20 psi in a dirt bike tire other than when seating a bead after changing tires.

Normal riding we run 14 in the rear and 13 in the front, on a sand track we race at we will drop the rear to 10 or 11.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he meant 20 total as in 10 in the front and 10 in the rear....lol

I have run 20 once or twice to avoid pinch flats at a few enduros that runs us through nastly rocky single track for 60 miles. I doubt pinch flats will be a problem in the dunes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Dry sand, mud and snow are really cool learning tools, and about the same set up. Wet clay goes like ice, I never tried screws on wet clay? Tire pressure? I have always ran whats stamped on the tire, 15psi. Dunlop addict when it counts. Never really had issues pinching, but sure thought about more rim locks! Soon as that sharp edge is off the drive side knob, it goes down hill from there. Changing pressures does effect wear rates. 20psi, thats got be like rock tires for real. Lower pressures do not seem to hold the tire as well as 15, ripping off valve stems makes a mess inside the tire.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I grew up riding the desert and dunes. I love the deep stuff. Same rules apply as to regular riding in terms of staying loose... You don't need a death grip to ride the sand. Let the bike wander a bit... it's sand and it's gonna do that anyway so light steering input is all that's required to keep you going in the general direction that you want to go. There's nothing better than being able to lay the bike over with no berm needed for support. I feel sorry for the 250F every summer when I go back home for 10 days. Deep sand is almost cruel and unusual punishment for tiddler bikes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom