Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Ok, I'm going to try to plan well in advance so I can make it this year. Flying is my only option. I can't afford to miss the amount of work required to make the drive. I have no paid vacation. So here are a few questions I have.

Are the dates set yet?
How far in advance can tickets be purchased?
Any advice for getting cheap tickets?
Can advanced tickets be returned if for some reason I couldn't make it?
The biggest problem a bike.........

Jeremy

B

biglou

I believe the dates are not set in stone yet, but will be somewhere around the first week in October.  Not sure about your plane tickets-Lou don't fly! :eek:

As for a bike-No worries.  There are several options.  Find someone near you willing to take your bike and gear for you-this is not as uncommon as you might think!  If you just can't get your bike there, there will be about 300-500 people more than willing to let you take a spin on theirs.  A lot of folks there will have multiple bikes, as well.  Also, once you get your plane tickets finalized, post here as the time gets closer (2-4 weeks out) and someone will pick you up at the airport.  Really!  Tulsa or OKC are the two airports you want to choose from.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Jeremy -

SEA to DFW has some good prices.  If you head south to PDX, you can get some good flights as well.  They can really get cheap if you one stop instead of non-stop.  You should be able to pick of the litter in the spring.  There are a bunch of NTSP guys going up again I am sure.  Most of us stayed the entire week last time.

MCI is a good option as BigLou indicated.

OKC is your only option if you have to come late or leave early.  Milk volunteered again for 03 to shuttle folks to the airport (about 1 hour).  At least I think he did ....

Regarding bikes - Not to worry.  There were plenty to go around.  There was a 400 MXC begging and whimpering because it's owner broke a foot 20 minutes after starting to ride at DW02.

Tony

Oops ... missed two questions

Advance Purchase - 21 days minimum for decent fares but the earlier the better, so you can watch for promotional sales.

Refunds - Not real good option unless you have an unique situation, and even then you have to beg.  All the best fares are non-refundable.

Last edited:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Most airline schedules are published 321 days in advance.  However, they are still subject to change.  You can usually purchase flights about 300 days in advance.  You won't get the best deals this way.  You need to start shopping for them about 3 months prior to the event.  As the event gets closer, the prices may go down depending on what's going on in the travel industry.

Refundable tickets are very expensive.  You're probably better off to get a cheap non-refundable fair and just eating it if you can't make it.  You can take the fare and change it to a ticket to somewhere else if you need to cancel your flight to DW.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Thanks all! It looks like there really isn't anything I can do until closer to the date. I'll start watching fares now though so I'll be able to spot a good rate when the time comes. Anyone have any online sites they recommend? Or where else would you buy tickets? I'd think a travel agent would be more expensive.

Jeremy

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I get my tickets through Orbitz.  They seem to be a few $$ cheaper than the rest of the sites.  I usually find a flight and get all the flight #'s etc and then search other sites to see if I can save a few bucks.

I forgot to mention earlier, if you are not planning on staying the entire time, be sure to come mid week and stay until Sunday to fly back so your stay will be over Saturday night.  That will get you the best fares.

As you will notice, off peak flights are the cheapest.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I have already submitted my vacation time for DW03. It will be my first DW. I live in OKC and only 15-20minutes from the airport in OKC. If I can help with Transportation I would be to glad to. OKC airport to Cooperland is about 1hour15minutes. I have 1985 XR200 & 1983 KDX200 that will be around(daughter & Wife ride them).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I flew in this year and it worked out wonderfully--everyone was so kind and helped out! I had way more bikes offered to me than I could ride and plenty of willing people who helped in every other way.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I plan on doing the same. Maybe we can work out some sort of schedule for pick ups at the airport. If not I will rent a car and I could take anybody who shows up around the same time.

Top Bottom