FlyingBob or other WR360 riders

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Flyingbob, you indicated that the shcok chamber may be an issue if I attemp to swap TE570 suspension to a WR360. I measure the chanber and it's about 118mm (just the gold part). I contacted a guy who's selling a 2001 WR360 and he said his shock chamber measures approx. 115mm. That's close, maybe I'd just have to force the pip down or put a slight dent in it. Any thoughts.

Also, what are thoughts on the 2-strokes vrs. 4-strokes. My TE570 is a very easy bike to ride. It doesn't beat you to death and I can ride it much longer than my older 2-stroke KTM's. It is big though and can be a handful. It's a good 59-60" long and approx 258lbs. It seems like the 2-strokes are easire to toss around on the tight trails, etc. I'd assume the 360 with 14x50 gearing could run in the 60-70's. I need 70 plus for long desert races.

Bottom line, if I get the WR360 I'll have to choose between the 4-stroke and the 2-stroke in the end. I can't afford to keep both. Good thing is that both would be OHV year round (greensticker) out here in CA.

Thanks for any input.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Might want to double check the year on the 360. Afaik there was no 01 360's, only 00 and 02. And of course after that they were discontinued. The 02 360 I rode was brand new and was tight and snappy power wise, stiff suspension and smaller and more flickable than the 02 570 as you'd expect. Tho the 570 did really well in the tight stuff considering. I personally found it hard to deal with the vibration on the 570 and out of the 2 would prefer the 360 for that reason alone. I would have been faster on the 360 too, and more tired maybe.

Dunno if a te450 is an option? A pro rider I know says his te450 makes about as much power as the 570 and feels way lighter and more refined..

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Bud, Thanks for the input. I pulled up some specs on the 01 and it is changed form the 2000 model based on the text. They say that they changed the head angle, forks , rear shock, swingarm, etc. I don't know what to think about the year issue. I do know that you all were getting the 03's to test and we got no bike here in the USA that year. I wonder if the 01 360 was delived to the USA with 2000 VIN, but the upgrades that would have been and are on the 2002. I'll have to check it out somemore. Overall most if not all of the reviews I found came from down your way. Most rave about the 2-strokes for the bush. Out here, I'm wide open desert with rocky hills and mountain goat trails. And when weather or fire closure allows, I get into some good tight woods trails. Tight for west coast USA standards. So the bigger low power of the 360 should be a plus over a 250. I don't know though, I havn't been on a 250 in 15 years. I went from a KX500 to KTM360 to Husky WXC350 4-stroke, back to KTM300 2-stroke, and now on the TE570. One race season and still like new, except for plastic.

It's good to hear that you felt the 570 had more vibration than the 360. My KTM360 was bad for vibration and was worried how the 360 would be. I've gotten use to the 570, so I assume I'd take to the 360 if I do it. Right now I've got to look at all the Pro's and Con's. The 360 would mean race gas and pump gas pre-mix every ride. Not to mention weekly trany oil and filter cleaning. With the 570, I just run 91 pump gas, change the oil and clean the filter every ride. A little less hassle, but not much.

Choices choices, either way my wifes piss about all this. She sees it as just another bike, money out, and one that will have to be sold. Bikes it all fun though.

Thanks again.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
My '02 360 motor was incredible - power delivery was perfect, very mellow and tractable on the bottom but pulled very hard on top. No real hit just fantastic torque. The rest of the bike was nice but more euro feeling. I owned a GasGas 300xc and a VOR at the same time. I prefered the motor of the Husky and the chassis of the GasGas - ended up selling the 360 because it was worn out(chassis) and I was tired of wrenching - stuck with the Gasser.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Enduro_nut, I've been told the 360 get a real bad gyro effect on downhills. Did you find this to be true. It's almost like it speeds up when your trying to peg-walk it or bring it to a stop on hills. I don't know I haven't ridden one, that's just what I was told. I have gotten use to the engine braking that I get with the 570 and that helps on these western goat trail enduros out here. I got photos of the bike tonight and it looks like it's had very little use, looks good. I think I need to go for it if in fact the ride is as smooth as you all say.

thanks Ed

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Dingoe,

Check out Husky.com.au and look under bike tests for some reviews of the 2002 360. I have a 93 and like it for all types of riding. I was totally impressed at its hillclimbing ability in that you can be nearly at idle in technical uphills and always have power without clutching. I'm in the midwest where I really haven't used 6th gear much so don't know about high speed riding with it. Mines older so I'm sure the handling will be different. It did take some getting used to the power in tight stuff. Too much throttle and your on your backside or accelerating into some trees you hoped you'd miss. Let us know how you like it if you get it. Those reviews from the above link should help confirm your choice.

Thanks,
Bob ( the non flying one).

robbaker450

Jun 29, 2003
Standard Husky needs $$$$

I rode a stock 03 360 and decided in the first 30 seconds it would serious $$$$$$ on the engine and suspension or i would be smoked by any 125 or kdx 200.Stay with the 570 and keep smiling...

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
robbaker450 said:
I rode a stock 03 360 and decided in the first 30 seconds it would serious $$$$$$ on the engine and suspension or i would be smoked by any 125 or kdx 200.Stay with the 570 and keep smiling...

You must have been riding a WR60 not 360! The 360, or atleast my '02 will run with any big thumper and it will leave any 4spd at about 50mph. Something was wrong with the bike you rode. I have owned a 530 VOR and it would run with it any day.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Robbaker,
Maybe they have different bikes in Auckland, as far as we know, there was no '03 360. I can't believe anyone would get on these 360's and think they would get spanked by a 125 or Kdx 200. That '03 must be a dog.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Guys Thanks for all the input and the website reviews. That site also has the
de-comp head tech stuff too. Sounds like the number one mod to buy if I do it. Also looks like I'll change wheels, suspension (what I can), brakes, etc. to the WR from the TE. That is if I keep the WR over the TE. The only way to tell is just to spend the cash and time and deal with selling one or the other in the end.

Thanks and it looks like I'm going into bike test mode.

After I jump through all of the Lame CA's DMV hoops. Life was easier when I lived back east.

ed

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Yeh no 03 360. They are a nice motor. I have ridden a 2002 WR360 it has a good enduro feel....like a good 300 but with a chunk more ponies thrown in. You can short shift them and they will still pull like a bull. But the kickstart is a piece of sh@t and is prone to breakage because of high compression (and its short piece of crap design). In Oz they had a local decompression system which made it like a 125 to start. It was a Victa (brand of Aussie mower) lawnmower 2 stroke decompression system. They drilled a hole and whacked it in the head. The airbox breathes through the bottom so its suck dust something chronic. Nothing a little mods cant fix. My 2 cents.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom