CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
How do you re install the flywheel magnets on a kdx 200 83. Does anyone know what direction to place them? :worship:

carney

Mar 17, 2004
I was lucky in that I didn't have to mess with my flywheel magnets on my '88 (yet), but I'll give this a shot. I assume there is no trace of old adhesive anywhere to provide a clue? Are the magnets all the same size? I think I recall there being "dimpled" areas on the inside circumferemce of the flywheel for alignment of the magnets. If these are not evenly spaced they would provide clues as to where to place different sized magnets. That brings up a question from me - how does the CDI know when to spark the ignition? Anyone know? I found an archived post by canyncarvr that mentioned a piece of plastic between magnets to break the field, but I think this may only apply to newer bikes, I don't recall any such piece in my '88 when I had it apart. Then again, that was many beers ago... CJS1 post up your findings and hopefully we'll figure this out. Or maybe a KDX shaman will post the answer :aj:

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
Why do people read the threads but never put in their two bits. I'm sure some of you know something about this problem?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I can't answer your question as I don't have a pre 88 KDX in front of me. I can tell you that if you give Jeff Fredette at Fredette Racing Products a call he will be able to tell you. He also offers a rebuild service on KDX200 flywheels if need be.

David

Zet

Jun 25, 2002
CJS1 said:
How do you re install the flywheel magnets on a kdx 200 83. Does anyone know what direction to place them? :worship:
I recently had this problem,but found a second hand one in great condition, thanks "Holeshot".
While investigating I found that the magnet that lines up with the centre of the flywheel keyway is opposite polarity to the other three. I presume that this is what excites the cdi to give spark.
Your local M/C Electrical Shop should be able to work out your polarity and bond the magnets as they have been doing Harleys for ages. Also see FRP as Jeff was kindly looking into my problem and was close to coming up with a fix, maybe using a later model flywheel, I don't know the end result as I found one.
The reversed magnet sits with it's centre at the centre of the Keyway with the other three evenly spaced around the flywheel.
In OZ a replacement from Japan ( if available ) is US $463, Heeps big money for a hunk of metal and 4 magnets hey!
Hope this helps
Zet

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
I was told that the magnets just go north to south north to south north to south all the way around. I didn't find on to have reversed polarity. Hope it works when I try it out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW, the reason people read threads but don't answer the question may be a good thing. If they don't know the answer or have anything to say, why waste your time?

If CDave doesn't know...you already have notice you are waaaay out in left field (meaning far away from common knowledge, or what most folks know).

Doesn't mean they aren't curious about the question (thus the reads).

Give them a break! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom