KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I just received my FMF torque pipe and it does not fit. :( The headpipe is about 1/4" from sliding into the manifold. I even removed the muffler to aid in the installation. I bought this from Rockymountain which has a great price on the pipe, but I wonder if FMF sells them their rejects? :think: Has anyone received a FMF pipe recently from Rockymountain that fit with out modifications. I will be calling Rockymountain to see how they will handle this situation.

Last edited:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Not from Rocky Mtn but I have had 2 poorly fitting FMF pipes in the past. One was "alignable" with a bench vise and a shovel handle for a little leverage and persuasion. Wouldn't line up on the cylinder. The other was an issue with the two mounting tabs being in the wrong place so I didn't even try that one. Exchanged for different one that fit fine. Guess their QC suffers a little at times. Maybe my two and yours were built on a Friday afternoon when they were ready to head out for the weekend.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Just installed a woods pipe from RockyMtn on a 200 a couple of weeks ago. The fit was tight - only when everything was aligned just right could I install the bolts through the mounting tabs.

Having read a # of threads regarding the fit of FMF KDX pipes, a thought occuured. Perhaps loosening the motor mounts and the swingarm pivot bolt might help. Once the pipe is installed, retighten everything. If this works, let us know. Could be a valuable tip.

Here's a tip that works for removing expansion chamber springs - take about a foot of string and tie it into a loop. Pass the loop through the hook of the spring, which will result in a couple of "finger loops". Using the index and birdie fingers, grab the loops and pull. Not only does this work well, but you'll never straighten out the spring's hook doing it this way. Only downside is that the string sometimes gets trapped when reinstalling the spring.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
Not for a minute do I belive FMF is sending out seconds, or any crap for that matter. Everything is built on jigs and near perfect alignment is virtually guaranteed. This is the way of modern manufacturing. My -30 was rather tight and I finessed it together just fine.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Try rotating the pipe some and see if that helps. When I put my pipe on my bro's 220 it was off about a 1/4 inch and rotating it downward allowed it to slide in. It's wierd the same pipe slides right in with no problem on my bike. Hope this helps, Braden

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not for a minute do I belive FMF is sending out seconds, or any crap for that matter. Everything is built on jigs and near perfect alignment is virtually guaranteed.

Well, now. That statement is nothing if not completely, absolutely and irrevocably wrong. Virtually, even!!

Sorry 'bout that.

FmF fit and finish has been griped about on this board for years. The fact of the matter is they send out 'crap' that doesn't fit all the time.

And they know it, too. I know that because I've told them about it myself more than a few times (I own four FmF exhaust products). They have admitted their jigs have been out of alignment in the past.

Some riders have found them nice enough to fix the mistakes, others have not.

They commonly send out their S/As with missing hardware, too.

If it's a rotten fit your choice is to either fix it or at least try to return it. The 'fix' part involves the large levers mentioned and bending it. If your dealer doesn't take care of it (shipping with RMMC would be a pain), get ahold of FmF personally.

Good luck.

Last edited:

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
If I remember right the woods pipe on my last kdx was rather tight...Would heating a pipe that was out of alignment cherry red before bendinding it make for a better fix/Job. ??????

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
It's a shame that a company like FMF would put out "crap". I would hope that their customer service and return policies are first rate or they will soon be out of business. With todays manufacturing processes there is no excuse for this. What you all say here has a huge bearing on what many many people buy. The customer is always right.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I tried to finesse the installation of the pipe again. :bang: It is not possible for the header of the pipe to insert into the exhaust port. This is because the pipe touches the advancer shaft lever cover regardless which way the pipe is turned. The flat spot on the pipe appears to not have the correct depth or the pipe is just made wrong. Interesting enough the pipe has a tag on it with a sticker identifying it was checked by #304. I guess this is FMF quality control method. Beware if you get this inspector for your pipe. :yikes: FMF is only 20 mile from where I live thus I will drive down there so they can check out my pipe on their jig. I am going to bring my bike incase they say the pipes ok. I will let you know how they handle the situation and how I am treated as a customer.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
It's a classic case of a great product with poor execution. FMF does a lot of research on making the best power etc. However unfortunately they can't seem to pull it together in production sometimes. I've reviewed several posts in this forum concerning bad fit.
I personally purchased an FMF for my KDX. The fit was tight but it did fit without having to yank, crank, and bend it into place. It took about 15 minutes to get it into position. Then I realized they failed to put the KIPS dent in it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: The flat spot on the pipe appears to not have the correct depth or the pipe is just made wrong.

Both of these instances have been reported by other riders. Some pipes have been simply mislabeled...what they are is NOT what they say via ID stamps.

Good luck with them. I'd hope that walking in their front door would get you some decent result. Personally, I've had about zip.luck dealing with them. I've referred them to this forum when there was a current, 'FmF STINKS' thread running. I've called them, written to them trying to get some of their goobers resolved...never got anywhere.

My next pipe will probably be a PC. Might as well try something different.

Although...if FmF had an SST for the KDX, I'd probably have one'a those already!

re: heat and bend

I would think that would tend to make the pipe bend too much in all the wrong places. Don't know that...never did it that way. Brett (I think I have that right...owns PacificCrest Pipe Repair) told me to use something strong that fit in the two ends, brace/vise/hold as required, tweak the thing a little at a time until everything lined up.

Do be sure to do it a little at a time. The pipe doesn't always move in ways you think. Small bends make big differences in hanger location and stinger-S/A alignment.

Be sure the header fits squarely into the cylinder, too.

Of course, one thump on a stump later and it will all be out of whack again. :(

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
The way dents are removed is by capping both ends, tapping cap and pressurizing pipe, then heating dented area until dent "pops" out..........I was thinking this stratagy could be applied to correcting pipe fit also.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If both ends are capped, you aren't going to be putting anything inside of them to be used as levers.

You will likely be surprised how easy it is to bend a pipe all over the place.

...a bit harder to bend it to the right place! ;)

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I've only had experience with FMF once, well, twice actually since I got the TC2 Silencer and Desert pipe for the 04 220 at the same time.

I'm not certain if this helped as far as fitment, but I did definitely have to "finesse" the pipe and tabs none to gently to get everything to line up. I didn't ahve to bend anything though wit everything bolted up starting from the motor and moving back, the silencer was sticking out away from the stock bolt location by about a quarter inch... since it was impossible to torque it over without either bending the silencer or breaking off the fron tab on it, I chose to use a quarter inch aluminum spacer on the bolt...

That was the only issue for me, and it was non to serious... Even out a quarter inch from stock it still doesn't touch any plastics...

Good luck with yours!

Feanor

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
I wasn't thinking to cap both ends when straightening a ill fitting/crooked but to use a torch to heat/soften metal to aid in bending pipe. I has a FMF silencer on my last kdx that I had to add washers to make it wirk. I thought I was the only one........didn't have the internet back then....

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
My FMF rubs my shock spring. Always has. I've tried every way I can think of to get it away from there but no luck in two years. Different kinds of spancers, loosening everthing up and prying it away, you name it! It finally wore a whole in the pipe, but I just welded it up and I'm starting over now. I believe this is just another example of FMFs workmanship.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Today I went to FMF and I took my bike with me. Chris was the representative that helped me with my pipe. I think it really helped that I brought my bike with me. When I arrived Chris tried to fit my pipe on the my bike and it would not fit. :bang: He took it back to have it put on their jig and when he came back the pipe checked out ok. He brought the original pipe and another pipe with him. Once again he tried to put the my pipe on it still would not fit. :bang: Thus he tried the other pipe and with finessing and pulling and pushing the pipe went on. Everything bolted up fine from there. Chris was very pleasant and cooperative. Michelle was the FMF representative I originally spoke with and she was also very pleasant and cooperative. I think it really makes a difference to beable to take your bike with you so they can see what you are talking about. Thus I am happy. :yeehaw: I rode the bike with the pipe on up and down my street a few times and the power band is sooooo much smoother and powerful. :cool: Maybe in the future if your pipe does not fit they will remember mine and be a little more convinced. I also found out that FMF and 909 are the same company or at least the same facilities. :think:

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Kev- that's great, but not everyone lives down the street from them. Will they or are their service as good for those who can't bring their bike to them. ????

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
trailryder said:
Kev- that's great, but not everyone lives down the street from them. Will they or are their service as good for those who can't bring their bike to them. ????

If I had sent my pipe into FMF I suspect they would of responded that it checked out on their jig and I would have to go from there. :uh: My second option was to send it back to Rock Mountain MC where I purchased it. As a side note they just jacked up their prices on pipes. I guess it is their way of saying Merry Christmas. The Rocky Mountain MC representative told me there would be a 20% restocking fee and I would have to pay for the shipping. :ohmy: The exception to this would be if it was defective. Once again to prove this you need to show them. Prior to getting this resolved I was thinking I should have payed the extra $20 and bought the Pro Circuit pipe, since they have a good reputation for not having problems fitting bikes. If you do get a FMF pipe, which if it fits you will love it, and if it does not take pictures of the fit and use it in your communications with FMF. Good luck in your decision.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
KDX200Kev

I had exactly the same problem you have with your pipe not clearing the advancer shaft buldge. I had to pound a dent in the pipe with a big hammer to make it clear. I bought the pipe new for $60, so I'm not complaining, and I love the performance result.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Criminy, folks, it's not like Kawasaki Heavy Industries turns out immaculate frames/subframes with zero-tolerance hole/tab/mount locations. :(

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
D36-108A said:
Criminy, folks, it's not like Kawasaki Heavy Industries turns out immaculate frames/subframes with zero-tolerance hole/tab/mount locations. :(

Your correct, but for the engine swingarm, shock ect... to fit, they have to be a lot closer to spec. then some of the FMF pipes that are 1/4"or so away from fitting.

I would imagine that the pip jigs are ajustable to many models of bike with proper setup, but they don't always get set up properly?

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
kmccune said:
Your correct, but for the engine swingarm, shock ect... to fit, they have to be a lot closer to spec. then some of the FMF pipes that are 1/4"or so away from fitting.

I would imagine that the pip jigs are ajustable to many models of bike with proper setup, but they don't always get set up properly?

I think FMF could gain a lot in quality if they would follow the old saying " measure twice cut once" :clue: when setting up their jig for pipes.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
D36- while this may be true, never does anyone complain about "stock" pipes not fitting correctly.If the frame tabs were out of align the stock pipes wouldn't line up correctly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom