mdecesari

Nov 14, 2001
I bought two 96 KDX200s, one with a FMF Fatty pipe. FMF lists a Fatty, and a Gnarly Woods or Gnarly Desert pipe. The forum talks about a Rev pipe or a Torque pipe. The Fatty works great. I want to get a pipe for my second bike but I was wondering if the Gnarly rev/torque pipe is better? Does anybody else have experience with the FMF Fatty pipe? Thanks.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Quote from a post (4-21-01,KDX200 king)

I have a 1989 kdx 200 and the best all around pipe is deffinetly fmf ,the only pipe is the "Fatty" I wish that fmf would make a fatty pipe for the 1995 and up but they dont well good luck on your pipe selection.

kyle

Which pretty much sums it up. The fatty pipe was made for the earlier models (pre'95). It's supposed to be an 'all round' pipe. I've seen this pipe on a 2000 220, so it must physically fit...but the guy riding it was an expert kinda guy..he may have re-engineered it a bit to make it fit.

The 'G' designation of currently available pipes (kG30-rev and kG35 torque) refers to the 18ga metal they are fabricated from..as opposed to the 19ga of earlier pipes.

but I was wondering if the Gnarly rev/torque pipe

That's the choices youse gots, now. CDave said (6-18-2001)
The KG-30 Rev pipe is my personal choice on the 220. It adds a whole bunch more mid to top end and leaves the bottom end intact. The KG-35 Torque pipe doesn't work as well at improving power everywhere on the 220 as it does on the 200. On the 220 the KG-35 will increase bottom end to mid rpm power delivery but after than it falls flat just like the stock pipe. You've likely noticed that with the stock pipe in place rolling the throttle past about 85% open results in more noise but no meaningful increase in power, the KG-35 is like that too. The KG-30 still pulls strong right up to WOT. The torque pipe on a 220 doesn't offer a noticeable improvement at upper-mid to high rpms. This isn't to say the KG-35 doesn’t have a place on the 220. If you ride tight technical trails and spend the majority of your time in 3rd gear or lower then the KG-35 might be just what the doctor ordered. Like others have said it's a personal choice.

Given you spend most of your time in 3rd or higher I'd say the KG-30 is the better choice for you.

I own both a rev and a torque for my 200. I prefer the torque in single track woods stuff..and it gives up little to the rev for more open riding.

The rev is physically quite a bit bigger than the torque..that kinda stinks if you drop it, cuz it DENTS up much eaiser.

The jetting is different tween the two. If I'm jetted to go for the rev, then make no changes other than to my torque..I'll foul a plug in pretty short order.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
In 1995 to 1998 FMF offered a "Fatty" pipe for the KDX200 and 220 in either a torque pipe K-35 or a rev pipe K-30. When they introduced the Burly then Gnarly pipe built with 18ga steal the profile remained identically the same; the thickness of the material was the only thing to change.

Is the Gnarly woods/torque pipe better than the Fatty woods/torque pipe, no they are exactly the same profile and will perform identically the same to what you have know. KG-30 = K-30 and KG-35 = K-35.

To id your present pipe look on the vertical tab closest to you kick starter. Their will be either a k=30 or k-35 stamped into it, it may be on the back side of the tab. The k-30 is a rev pipe and the k-35 is a torque pipe.

The pre 95 pipe won't fit on 95+ KDXs.

David

Top Bottom