slodad

Sep 4, 2005
I just purchased a 2002 Yamaha YZ250F that came with a FMF Powercore 4 muffler. I haven't had it tested, but it strikes me as a bit boisterous. Does the FMF Quite Core insert reduce the noise level to 96db for riding in public areas?

If not, I'd appreciate any recommendations for quite a muffler/spark arrestor.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
FMF's Q muffler is all I'm familiar with, and while not REAL quiet, it is a substantial difference. And it's a spark arrestor too.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
FMF Power core

I put a FMF power core on a 04 crf250x and it was just loud , low end grunt but wouldn't rev out like my modified stock pipe .
Put the quiet core insert in ,,,which basically reduces the pipe size from 1.50 i.d. to aprox. 1.30 i.d.
It made it a little quieter but no better power , I had lost my screaming top end !
Ok , lets take it back apart again , out came the quiet core and the hoaky spark arrester.
I found a piece of pipe , about 3-4 " long that fit real snug into the quiet core insert and had an i.d. of aprox. 1.100 .
You gotta try ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Well that helped it considerable ,
The bike has decent bottom end , good midrange pull and ok top end . Overall an Ok package for trail riding and sounds 100% better than the stock pipe " which has no packing on the walls.
The modified stock pipe with a 6" 3/4 id preforated i.d . insert
would make it come on like a 2 stroke on top ,, but it would make you wonder when the Ka- boom , it would pull and pull under you let off , what a blast to ride ! but bottom end grunt just wasn't there.

A long story for what its worth , I 've never bought an aftermarket pipe or muffler yet that I didn't have to tune to the bike.

Top Bottom