FMF Turbine Core2 Q silencer

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I was wondering what you riders think of the new TC2-Q pipe, I hope it's worth it I really can't stand the noise anymore and i'm tired of wearing plugs--Yes i know your all going to tell me that the bike is already super quiet-well after making several modifications its not the leat bit quiet, and no i'm not selling it- it's the easiest bike to ride that i have ever owned.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
What do you have on it now for a S/A?
It may just need repacking...

I just looked at FMF's site
They have a Power Core Q and a Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor.

According to FMF, the Power Core Q is supposed to be quietest 2-stroke legal performance spark arrestor made.

Last edited:

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Hey greenhornet, what SA do you have now? I am running a FMF Power Core silencer with no SA. I need a SA and would like to buy a used one if you are going to switch from a Turbine Core 2 or similar to the Q. If it needs packing I could fix that.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks for the offer Mrobbins, i have a Turbine Core 2- it has been modified it is more like what the old turbine core looks like. It has a pecker on the end (turn down), i did that so when the jetting was not quite right it woud not jiz all over my rear fender. If we lived closer together i would think about selling it-- sorry i can't help :(

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
No problem. I have been checking around for a used one but will just order new from Fredette. He has the TC 2 for $129 and that is about as low as I have seen. Good luck with the Q and report back because I have seen several people ask about it in this forum.

UtahDesert

Dec 4, 2002
I just tried to order the "Q" version from FMF and they have discontininued this silencer. Went with the tried and true Turbine Core II.

Jeff

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
They have THe Power CORE -Q , I hope its more quiter than the TC2- I can not deal with that a mount of noise- I wear plugs all the time, and when i am in the woods it is nice to know what your buddies are sayin to you, Iwas just out on my bike to night and that thing is an animal more like A Tazmanian DEVIL- very crisp and fast- i can't believe what good jetting dose. It is running like my old KX 250 did very fast and really scary snappy. But that S/A is very loud, it don't even sound like it has a really bark just noise. I like the sound of my old 250 better- is there a better packing than the fmf packing? i need to get the specs on this new q s/A i've looked at FMF"S site I want to find out how long the thing is.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Are you sure it's Power Core Q? I thought Power Core designated a silencer only with no spark arrestor. I went ahead and ordered the TC 2 from fredette last week. Should arrive in time to install for my enduro next Sunday.

How was your KX250 quiter than a kdx? Did you have the stock silencer on the KX vs the FMF on the KDX?

One other thing, last weekend I took the aluminium pipe gaurd off my FMF Fatty when cleaning off a lot of mud. I fired it up to dry the engine and it was WAY louder with the pipe gaurd off, almost unbearably load. You might want to through a gaurd on if you don't have one.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Are you sure it's Power Core Q?

From the FMF web site:
Power Core Q
FMF Racing's newest addition to the 'woods' silencing system comes in the Q . This spark legal muffler system will meet the 96dB sound level set by the forestry service which makes it the quietest 2-stroke legal performance spark arrestor made. Designed with a longer oval canisters, the Q uses internal technology that retains optimum flow characteristics which are designed to enhance sound absorption qualities. The result? Superior sound deadening characteristics and excellent power. Completely spark arrestor legal and now quiet enough to meet the strict Forestry standards, the Q will help ensure that we stop noise pollution, not rob power.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Thanks for the details. Curious to know who the power is with the Q and if any jetting changes are needed. Let us know greenhornet.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
I talked with a FMF rep, and they claim tha it is neither a power core or a turbine core 2 it is just a Q silencer period. Whatever it is i think i am going to buy it. I hope it is under 100 dbs, my ears are starting to RINNNGGGGG!
But all in all people keep ltelling me that it is very quiet- well not really when the silencer in not more that 3 ft form your head oh well, i'll find a way a round it thanks and i give you some info as soon as i get it slapped on. Hey does any one use those gromettes supplied by fMf? Thanks All

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Slapped the new TC2 on last night. I was a 5 minute job including letting my 7 year old daughter wrench the bolts in. The TC2 puts out the same noise level as the old PC I took off. Didn't have time to ride to check power.

YES, I did use the little aluminum spacer provided by FMF. I needed it and the longer bolt in the kit to attach the rear mount tab on the TC2 to the tab on the bike.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Mrobbins, what S/A did you have on your kdx before? you should notice a differnce. I ordered the the Q S/A it should be here by next monday, i'm guessing that it will be the same jetting as the TC2, i really need to get out on my bike. It's very snappy i really can't believe how well it rides. What Mods have you done to your bike? Your right it really don't take long to cahnge the S/A- i am thankful it is not a back breaking job. Even taking of the head pipe is not to bad.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Before the new TC2 I had an FMF Power Core. My first impression is they sound very similar and the bike revs about the same. No jetting changes.

Other mods include the typical stuff- renthal bars, EE skid plate, EE barkbusters, FRP hand deflectors, Devol radiator braces, air box cover removed, FMF Fatty REV pipe, Trail Tech computer, CEET high foam seat with gripper cover, larger rear tire (Dunlop K695 110/100).

Great bike for the tight eastern new england woods. Just needs orange plastic to fit in with the crowd. :-)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…