FMF's customer service

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
didn't wanna post two flames but this really pissed me off!:debil:

I e-mailed FMF about power gains in using a FMF GoldSeries Fatty pipe for my '92 CR. here are the email we exchanged. You'd think a multi million dollar company would have a better customer service then this guy. Why only have dynos for new '01 models and not any older years?

ME:
Hello I am e-mailing cause I am very interested in buying a FMF fatty pipe for my 1992 Honda CR125R and wondering if you have any dyno charts to prove its performance increase.
Sincerly,
PlanetHondaCR125@aol.com

FMF customer service guy:
sorry unfortunetly we do not have a dyno charts on the '92 but look AT OUR WEB SITE AND YOU CAN FIND THEM ON THE '01. yOU WILL SEE AND FEEL THE POWER INCREASE THROUGH OUT THE POWER BAND.

Second e-mails....

ME:
Well I understand why you might not have dyno charts on a '92 but any done with the newer '97 model? The '01 CR motors were different then the older ones do to different CR ( Compression Ratios ), port timing, and carburator size. I am really internested in buying the FMF exhuast but would like to see some Dyno charts or some sorta facts behind what they say like some other companys.
Thank you,
PlanetHondaCR125@aol.com

FMF customer service guy:
SOMETIME POWER GAINS ARE NOT ALWAYS BASED ON FACTS OR NUMBERS. *bY WORD OF MOUTH.* YOU CAN MAKE A PIPE 20% STRONGER ON A DYNO BUT IT MAY NOY DO NOTHING ON THE TRACK. wE DO NOT HAVE ANY DYNO CHARTS FOR THE OLDER MODELS.
SORRY AND THANK YOU.

:mad:

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
LOL that's nothing! When I told them that a simple tiny little hit crushed there gnarly pipe they told me it was not possible! I told them that the pipe was 5 months old it had rust on it, and was dented twice! Once from dropping a small cresent wrench on it (It was not a big dent but it was still the size of a quarter on TOP of the pipe) But once again IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE he told me!

Oh and the rust issue!!! I told him I used wd-40 and his response! "You are obviously using improper techniques"

Yah FMF spray and wipe! That's a tuff one:mad:

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
This speaks for itself

Subj: RE: FMF Power Bomb headers
Date: 12/7/2001 9:54:03 AM Pacific Standard Time

To: RedThunder650R@aol.com ('RedThunder650R@aol.com')

SORRY UNFORTUNELY WE DO NOT HAVE ANY DYNO CHARTS ON THE POWER BOMB ITS SELF FOR THE 650. bUT WE DO HAVE THEM FOR THE MUFFLERS. YOU CAN FIND IT ON OUR WEB SITE.
iT WILL DROP SOUND IT WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED TO DROP THE SOUND AND WE ENDED UP WITH GREAT POWER GAINS. iT WILL ONLY BE 1 OR 2 DECIBLS.
tHANKS
-----Original Message-----
From: RedThunder650R@aol.com [mailto:RedThunder650R@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:46 PM
To: tech@fmfracing.com
Subject: FMF Power Bomb headers

Hello.

I am interested in purchasing the Power Bomb header for my '01 XR650R. The stocker is ugly, and performance gains are always welcome. However, I'm skeptical about buying aftermarket headers. White Bros. claims their header hurts low to mid power, with a slight gain up top. Definately not what I'm looking for.

FMF claims the Power Bomb adds low to mid power. This would be great for me. I'm wondering if there are any dyno charts from a Power Bomb-equipped 650?

Also, have any sound tests been done to find out how much more quiet the Power Bomb is versus the stock header?

Thanks a lot!

Kevin Stadden

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
What gets me is when he said...

*bY WORD OF MOUTH.* YOU CAN MAKE A PIPE 20% STRONGER ON A DYNO BUT IT MAY NOY DO NOTHING ON THE TRACK.

Even having to go through his cap locks and misspelling it was a shock to see him say " Hey even tho are dyno chart says it make 20% more power it may do jack **** for you on the race track! ":silly:

Jul 12, 2000
I cant believe that a "high performance" part company does not have any records that their products improve horsepower. Do they not test their products against stock components? Or are they just too embarassed about the dyno runs and wish not to publish the stats?

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
my saga with fmf is too lnog to go into, but i was extremely dissatisfied with thier service. I will never buy any on thier products again. ( too bad cause thier logos look soooo cool):debil:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Flying Machine Farce

I also got burned by FMF:

A couple years ago when the hot setup was to run a '95 cylinder on the '99 CR125, I was able to locate one from a friend that worked for American Honda (the cylinders were in short supply and are now non-existent). I sent it to FMF for porting and four weeks later had received nothing. I called and upon checking thier "records," they discovered they lost it. They were happy to pull another '95 cylinder from thier race truck for me, port it, and ship it. SURPRISE! When I got the cylinder I discovered that it was a '99!

The guy I dealt with over the phone was a Valley Guy (I don't know if there is such a thing, but that's what he sounded like) and was well versed in the art of deceit.

I now run Pro Circuit products that I purchase from my friendly local dealer.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Look, guys. Does HOOKER have dyno charts on their 1 7/8" headers & a stock small block chevy? (What the hell IS a stock small block chevy?). No. Know why? Because it's up to YOU, the TUNER, to make it work--based on what YOU know.

Although maybe they could spend some of that R&D money on front desk help, I think you're asking too much of them to dyno their pipes for every (changing) motor design. And don't expect them to say that they don't know their pipe will improve the performance of your 92--to them, it WILL. That's just what sells, baby.

We obviously know that if you cam a smallblock & it's at least a moderate performer, it will benefit from headers. But that's primarily because you have tuned it to do so. Everyone's had the experience of bolting up a pair of headers, only to find LESS horsepower without tinking with timing & jetting. The only way you're gonna find out with their pipes on the older bikes is to bolt one up, play with the jetting/timing/mixture--possibly octane, & give it a whirl. Go for it. :p

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Ok Nephron I will sell you a actual bear turd that was hardened for 50 years and I am going to nickel plate it and sell it to your for 300 bucks and believe me it works good you just have to tune your bike to run good on the turd :mad:

The only reason I got my FMF pipe is because I could not afford a stocker. And when you think about it you could save that money "TUNING" to the FMF pipe to actually "TUNING" your stock pipe (However what do those idiots know that designed and built my bike :confused: Why would I want to trust Honda over Donny LOL!)

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I think for spending $200 on a single part that claims great performance should atleast have a very technical customer service rep then that guy. Atleast tell me what kinda power gains will I get not just the " You will feel more more power increase in the powerband." Sure any person can make a product and say it will improve power but atleast even if your not a multi million dollar company like FMF show me some proof and not some dynos they did ONLY for 2001s. Think about it how many people you think with 2001s or 2002s use a FMF more then people will 1988-2000 year bikes?:think

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
That's just what sells, baby
Ya really believe that?
They sell mainly for other reasons They're cheaper than stock, they look cooler, they are on the race bikes so people want to look like they have a factory bike. They have good advertising.
They publish dyno's in the mags for current bikes ( and have for several years now). Why not save it in a $.35 floppy to fax or email potential customers. I think is is because of potential false claims lawsuits. They have treir own dyno, so do you really not think they dyno the pipe designs for the bikes? It's not expensive for them.
If pipes were bought soley on performance alont the euro pipes would be on all the bikes.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Exactly the point. Stick with stock, unless you know what you're doing.

My 500 still has a stocker, and it doesn't seem to be down on power...:think

Top Bottom