FOG needs advice on which gear to buy!

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hi everybody FOG (fat old guy) needs more advice. My bike should arrive next week some time. Seeing as I have not been riding in about 20 years, I dont't have a damm thing to wear.

I am planning on going power shopping this Saturday. I live in Minnesota and have 2 great stores here (Dennis Kirk and Bob's Cylcle Supply). I will only be trail and woods riding.

The web sites I've checked out cater to the moto-cross crowd. I plan on looking like ROBO-COP after im done buying gear (don't heal well theses days). Can anyone suggest a brand of pants and chest protecter (some thing with spine protection built in would be great) that work well for enduro type riding. Most of the boots I've seen have a mx type sole, the only thing I saw at Bob's with a waffle stomper sole were a cheap pair of O'Neals. I've read good tings about Tech 8 boots but all the ones I looked at hazv a relayivly smoot sole.
I also plan on some knee braces. The climate up here goes to extremes. I figure $1000.00 is a lot cheaper than a month in the hospital.

Thanks
Bill

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
We love people who realize that they need to spend money on protective gear!!
Back Brace
http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/backguard/o_backguard.html
Asterisk Knee Braces
http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/kneebraces/a_cell.html
Buy the best helmet you can afford, plain and simple.
As for boots, you don't need to buy enduro boots. I'm a hare scrambles kinda guy, and MX boots work just fine. The Alpinestar Tech 8's are supossed to work well, Big Lou likes the Tech 6's, and here is a review of the Alpinestar Vectors: http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/boots/vector.html
and the Sidi boots: http://dirtrider.net/drn_tested/boots/sidi_force.html
As for chest protectors, this is a good thread: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54476
People seem to think the top of the line Thor gear (I believe it's Core 4) works well with the braces, and isn't too showy.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Dress for the crash! Little kids stare at me when I'm suited up 'cuz they think I'm a power ranger. One mom brought up her kid one day when my riding buddy and I were taking a break...it was incredible to see that kid stare!! He was convinced we were aliens! Ha..my riding buddy told him to always do what his mom told him!

Alpinestar has two different soles..one for track, one for woods. Not a waffle stomper, but will keep you on your feet when you're on 'em. I use M5s. I don't think they have the sole choice on their tech series.

Fox360 pants work good. That little padding that don't seem like much can save you some pain when it has to!

re: asterisks. If you ANY regard for your knees..but a pair!! I never ride without mine.

The best helmet you can afford won't matter a diddle if it doesn't FIT!! If you can chew gum without hurting yourself with your helmet on, it don't FIT!

Oh..with asterisks, you won't need to wear shin guards (knee pads). They have patella protection built in.

Wear some elbow guards, too.

You'll be tempted sore to ride without all your 'stuff' (unless you actually get it all before next week). Do yourself a favor. Don't!

..buy a set of asterisks. Did I say that already?

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey FOG, glad to hear that you're in the same boat as my brother (IrishEKU) insomuchas ya both smoke and don't heal too well due to advanced age ;) Anywho, I'm with yzeater, there is a whole lot of gear out there and mx gear works pretty much as some of the enduro oriented products, MSR and Moose push some pretty good enduro stuff, I wear a Moose Chest Protector (which is really an Acerbis) Fox 180 pants and jersey due to quality and a good price from www.tjpartsxpress.com and Alpinestar Mode 4 boots. I would emphasize this, buy the best helmet you can afford, but replace it every time you (and I hope you don't do this often) crash and marr/ding it hard. The foam inside breaks down rapidly. Also, when you look at boots you may want to look into buying a pair that have replaceable shank pieces, it'll help extend the life of the boot. My boots don't have them which is a shame 'cause I really like them. Good Luck FOG and welcome back to our sport!! :aj:
--Hey yzeater, what part of VA are you from? I'm moving to the Hopewell/Fort Lee area in a couple of weeks.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Go to Bob's Cycle, ask for Robert J. the manager (there almost every day from 9 to 5), tell him Chad C sent you over and he'll take care of ya. He's very knowledgeable, been working there forever, and occasionally gives killer deals. Even w/o a discount they have competitive prices. I ride up in Park Rapids, how bout you?

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Hey everybody thanks fior the replies. Another question. When buying boots do you have to buy larger for shrinkage if the get wet, smaller for stretching as they break in or just buy what fits.

thanks
Bill

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'If' they get wet? :)

I've just bought what fits. They get wet a LOT. Might be a bit snug after you dry them out, but they stretch out again. A good set of insoles (aftermarket) makes a BIG difference in comfort.....yanno, walking around after the big ride, holding a beer in one hand..wondering with your other hand howcome you didn't get a set of 'over the boot' pants CUZ THEY HAVE POCKETS!!!

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey C.C. You don't get the "Over The Boot" pants because dirt and rocks tend to shoot up your pant legs when you're screaming and sliding down the trial on your butt :think: But then again maybe that's just me :)

Top Bottom