fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Arrived at Georgetown after 10pm, parked near dirtbikedave, caught a few zz's. Did the registration thing, got my number-764 from the Cera headquarters camp. C class were starting after 9am, had a chance to throw down lot's of food and Gatorade and BS with Retsenior and the Tortoise before start. Made a custom duct tape number plate and taped my 4 known check times to handlebars. My favorite place to ride and now all the private stock single-track trails were at our mercy, or the other way around. Conditions varied from dry to shady moist, temps in the 70's. Started on time, very enthused and music of Guns & Roses playing in my head(welcome to the jungle).The first 20 miles were some of my favorite crisscrossing up and around Bald mountain, only a couple of bottle necks up roots but I made the climbs. After a 5 mile road section we were in the southeast sector, new to me single-track took us down, across and up a shale hillside. Lots of ledges to drop over etc. This trail went through some rooty, rocky technical areas which caused 2 bottlenecks and me hanging on to a tree trunk with bike ready to tumble down. After all this, more tight trails and the infamous rock, twisty hill climb to the gas stop at 50 mile point. There were areas designated as special test, difficult ones. Somehow I had become 20 minutes behind and people were passing me everywhere. Don't know what there hurry was. We would all get there eventually and might as well be injury free, right? The rest of the ride was single-track and two track trails on the sides of Bald mountain. Great new trails were made or discovered by me. The music was played out in my head and I no longer had riders near me, just cruising to mile 70. At the final check in Mace mill I asked worker "is that it", thinking there might be another section. I guess I was looking for screaming spectators and the trophy girl also. Came in to mile 70 a 1/2 hour late and this was only with a 10 minute gas break and a few riding mishaps. I was really impressed at how well organized, staffed the Cera group were. Trails were marked thoroughly with arrows. Definitely a day in heaven, good feeling to complete my first enduro.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
That was an excellent ride. My compliments to CERA for doing a GREAT job. Everything was well organized and the course was awesome.

The route was extremely well marked and the club's efforts at trail maintenance were much appreciated. Conditions were superb and the 'Q' enduro format is lots of fun.

Thanks again CERA - you folks really know how to put on an event.

Congrats to Fremontguy and The Tortoise for finishing their first enduro!

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thank you for the riding report, Fremontguy.

Buddy, Fremontguy and The Tortoise, congratulations on finishing the Fools Gold Enduro!
It sounds like a great event and everybody had a great ride.

What I'm thinking now is to be a better rider and ride the '03 Fools Gold Enduro with you guys! I hope CERA will organize the event again next year.

Great job, everybody!

Mini ;)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Mini,

Don't wait till next year, the Training Wheels enduro, is scheduled for next month. It is also put on by CERA.

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Thanks, Jonala!
Yes, I'm planning to ride the Training Wheels Enduro on June 2.
But it's only 50 miles or so, right?
I thought 70 miles in George Town was more challenging than 50 miles in Forest Hill (somebody told me so), and that's why I want to improve my riding skills and ride next year's Fools Gold Enduro.
In fact, I am going to attend Ladies's Enduro Riding School in Oregon on this weekend!!!

Mini

Last edited:

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Can't say it any better than dirt bike dave. Awesome day!!! Had fun with fremontguy, dirt bike dave, chasejj, KXEric, Buddy and his son, The Tortoise. Saw Bigbird at the finish of my ride. I think a great time was had by all, I know it was by me.

And to Dave, great to see you make it up and wish I could of rode with you or more better you ride with me. Maybe next time.

And to all our other riding friends you were missed too. Too many to name.

George

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Fools Gold

Excellent report. Conditions were about as good as it could get. I talked to one of the CERA members afterward, and praised them on a well run event. He said they were fortunate with the weather because there was still snow as late as last weekend on some of the trails they used.

The special tests were a mix of fast open sections where a rider could pass, and tight, technical sections that challenged all riders. The transition sections were paced so that C riders could maintain time without excessive speeds. I would like to see more of these events in the district.

I have not met all of the DRN participants, but am glad to see the turnout. RetSenior, this ride was made for you. Jonala, I looked for you, sorry we missed each other.

Jim

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Jim,

Good to see that you are still riding. After seeing your FOR SALE signs up, I was worried that you switched over to mountain bike racing :p .

I didn't go up for this event. I felt it would just accentuate my short comings :whiner:

Will you and your daughter be doing the TW enduro?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
New ride

Jonala,

I have joined the 4-stroke ranks. I purchased a 2002 400SX about three weeks ago. I have had a couple of practice rides with RetSenior, and one Hare Scramble, the Outlaw. This is one impressive bike. Although I don't think I can ride it as fast as my 300, yet, I think this bike will ultimately improve my competitve riding.

Jim

Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
I finished the fools gold enduro 1 hour late but it was my first race am planing on going to the tw enduro next month what is it like?

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Alex,

The TW enduro, is a real time keeping enduro, that has generous speed averages. The concept of this enduro is for the speed average challeneged (me) to actually have time to look at their odometer's, clock, roll chart then figure out whether you are late , on time or early to the next secret check.
These are fun events. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom