For All You Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fans...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Let's not lose track here.
1) It's a PR stunt for a (retarded) cartoon.
2) No matter, it STILL caused a major commotion, just to promote said retarded cartoon.
3) Authorities have NO CHOICE but to push all possibilities ... should they miss some scheme, people die, then what? As someone said, the bad guys can be wrong a lot, those responsible for protecting can be wrong ZERO.
4) Knowing number 3, marketing guru should have thought it through. Hey, maybe he did. Talk about massive "free" PR.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
This from CNN:
Judge Paul K. Leary told Grossman that, according to law, the suspects must intend to create a panic to be charged with placing hoax devices, according to The Boston Globe.

It appears the suspects had no such intent, the judge said, but the question should be discussed in a later hearing.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Okiewan said:
3) Authorities have NO CHOICE but to push all possibilities ... should they miss some scheme, people die, then what? As someone said, the bad guys can be wrong a lot, those responsible for protecting can be wrong ZERO.
This is true, however there must be a limit. If i see a pen in your pocket, it might be a bomb so I panic. Should you go to jail?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Okiewan said:
Yeah, watching two sky scrapers fall to the ground wound me pretty tight.
You can't play that card with me. I worked there and lost friends.

Okie - if we walk the planet in utter fear, the terrorists have won. Lets' be vigilant, but let's use some common sense.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Interesting note. They placed a few around Austin and nothing was made of it..... of course they also notified the police of their intent prior to placing them. Since we have things like Leslie ( http://www.austinexperience.com/scenes/leslie/Leslie2.html ) I'm sure a stupid little box of lights wasn't much of a distraction.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Man.... that Leslie is just WRONG! Good thing I wasn't eating.

CO is right. Running around with our tail between our legs, strip searching grandmas, letting the 20-30 yr old middle easterners pass, getting our panties bunched up over cell phone taps, etc, is more than they could have hoped for.

And they're laughing hard right now. They have us spinning our politically correct heads off. I'm not downplaying any threat, but this sounds like Barney Fife.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Turner said the devices have been in place for two or three weeks in Boston; New York City; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

And only 1 city goes :yikes:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Although I bet they'd never admit it, I'm sure whoever thought of the stunt thought this ALL THE WAY through. They got one city to flip out over it and it's been all over the news for two solid days.

I guess in some sense I can understand Boston taking it as seriously as they did. My biggest problem is, once they found these things they took them pretty seriously. But somehow they were able to be placed all over the city before anyone raised an eyebrow. I'm more concerned with the fact that these devices were able to be placed around the city with no problem than I am with the PR stunt-angle of the whole thing. Maybe a little more effort should be put into ensuring that NO ONE can place ANY devices throughout a city like that.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Okiewan said:
Guess I better put that "card" back in my deck. Does someone that was actually in it come and trump your "I knew someone so shut up" card?
Yes

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
This was in the news this morning. :cool:

Feds May Sue Over Film Promotion

Friday February 2, 2007 7:01 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Federal prosecutors have said they may sue Paramount Pictures and the Los Angeles Times over a film promotion last year in which digital devices planted in news racks were mistaken for bombs.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Linda A. Kontos accused the companies of acting ``carelessly in executing the promotional campaign by planting a device that could be mistaken for a bomb in a United States government building post-9/11,'' the Times reported Thursday.

The threat of prosecution was reported a day after Boston officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV show ``Aqua Teen Hunger Force'' across the city. Authorities are investigating whether Cartoon Network parent Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc., a unit of Time Warner Inc., or other companies should be criminally charged.

Last April, Paramount placed the devices in 4,500 Times news racks around Los Angeles that played the iconic movie theme music for ``Mission: Impossible III'' whenever the door was opened. Some people thought they were bombs and reported them to police.

The Los Angeles County sheriff's arson squad blew up a Times news rack as a precaution and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in West Los Angeles was evacuated for 90 minutes after someone spotted a 6-inch-long red plastic box attached to the news rack by wires.

``With the wires leading to the micro-switch on the news rack doors, I can easily see how someone might have misconstrued it as an improvised explosive device,'' Times security manager Mike LaPerruque said.

Kontos sent a letter to Paramount and the Times last week, saying her office intended to sue both companies but would be willing to discuss a settlement, the Times reported.

Times spokeswoman Nancy Sullivan said the paper had no comment on the letter. Paramount spokeswoman Janet Hill also declined comment.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, said he could not comment and declined to make copies available to The Associated Press.

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
Man everything is about law suits these days... As a quote form one of the greatest movies of all time.. "Super Troopers"... Sue me Sue me Sue me....

In case you are wondering, yes i lost my mind this morning... :ohmy: :whoa:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Patman,

PLEASE keep Leslie there. Don't let Leslie move freely in public. I never want to see that near me, my family or anyone of any importance. Better yet, lock Leslie up like in one of those tanks from Return of the Living Dead and ship Leslie to the middle east somewhere.

And also, you owe me a new keyboard.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
BadgerMan said:
Last April, Paramount placed the devices in 4,500 Times news racks around Los Angeles that played the iconic movie theme music for ``Mission: Impossible III'' whenever the door was opened. Some people thought they were bombs and reported them to police.

I think I'll sue Paramount. Seems to me the real "bomb" was the actual film. I want my 9 bucks back!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Remind me to NOT buy my kids light brites. LOL

Well said, Reeseknight. :cool:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I think it is a testament to an uptight society. It is understandable to react this way but it is also scary to think we have become like this.

I think what they did, without permission from the local agencies, was stupid.

With permission I think it would have been funny because if the local cops and street workers and such were aware of it they could minimize concern when a civilian were to ask about it.

However, the 2 guys that got arrested were not at fault. They just took a job and didn't realize the ramifications... sure they could have been brighter but they aren't. At least they were funny.

That is my only comment on this... from here out I only answer hair questions :)

Ivan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom