showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Since my injuries are healed, I have begun regularly riding my 01 Rm 250. I replaced the steering stem bearings last year. The previous owner never greased them and they were rusted. Anyhow, every so often, I have to reseat these bearings (ones with the built in grease seal). After a few good rides, the front end developes play, and the bottom bearing starts popping. Is this normal? I have never had this issue with any other brand of bike, but this is the first set of this type of bearing that I have installed either. Any thoughts?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
RM guys...yeah!
I'm assuming installation was done correctly, (and that's not meant to be an insult.) If old bearings were real pitted, races should have probably been replaced too. Tighten bearing nut just a little past hand tight and then torque upper tripple clamp nut to specs. I have not had real good luck with the cheaper Korean bearings (if that's an issue)

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I have a 2004 RM 250 and have had to replace my steering stem bearings. They, too, were rusted out. I replaced them with Pivot Works - top and bottom bearings and races. I did that in January after one year (I greased them when I bought the bike and six months later, too). I just checked them again a few weeks ago and they were showing signs of rust again. I decided to use the thick Bel Ray grease instead of the lighter Torco grease I was using.

If I remember, my Honda had a 'cover' over the top of the bearings. I looked up the part, and they call it a dust cover. I'm thinking of seeing if this will work on my Suzuki to keep the water from getting down there. Right now it looks like an easy route for water to make it down. Honda also has a lower dust cover, and I'm thinking of trying one of those, too.

Anyone have any solutions to protect the bearings better? Ditto for the rear - I just had to replace my rear linkage bearings.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I use marine wheel bearing grease on my steering bearings ( and linkage ) I have no rust problems.

Agie rider 76

Apr 9, 2005
Maybe just an RM issue (or Suzuki saving $ on grease). i pressure wash, and avoid spraying near bearings, but they were still rusty when i checked them. haven't checked my linkage bearings.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
This makes the third time that I have removed them due to slop. Each time, the bearings look fine. I re-grease them, and re-torque them down, but they continually get sloppy.These are Pivot Works replacements, and I replaced the races with the initial installation. I'm beginning to think that the built in seal is the culprit, but this is just a guess at this point. I really don't mind doing bike maintenance, but this particular issue is getting kind of old.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom