showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I had to pull my bottom bearing off because it started freezing up. I guess the previous owner used a pressure washer regularly? Anyhow, this particular bearing has the grease seal built in to the bearing. I have never seen one exactly like this before.I am assuming this is a factory part, but I have no local Suzuki dealer nearby to verify this, and I bought the bike used. I found a couple of aftermarket bearing kits that say OEM, but they show a separate grease seal.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
The integrated seal on the bearing is oem although either kit will work fine. The Suzuki top stem seal rests on the inside diameter of the front tube, most manufacturers seals cover the top of the front tube. The Suzuki set-up seems to allow moisture bye very easy. You can either be very careful when exposing to water, grease often, or upgrade to the honda set-up. A friendly Honda parts person should be able to help you if you bring in the upper bearing.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Thanks. I was surprised to see the bearing in this condition because the bike was kept in great condition. Your info clears that up.
I took the bearing to the local Honda dealer because he told me over the phone it has to be two pieces. After he saw it he conceeded it was built together. He suggested an after market bearing kit because he did not have the bearing in stock that would fit it. And he pointed out the price difference.....:)

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
I had the same issue when I bought a used 2004 RM250.
I caught it in time though. I don't use a pressure washer,seems like overkill to me. :cool:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
pokemanyz said:
I had the same issue when I bought a used 2004 RM250.
I caught it in time though. I don't use a pressure washer,seems like overkill to me. :cool:

hey, i have a2004 and want to check the stem bearing.. ive greased the linkage but havnt done the steering on it (ive owned the bike since sept last year, no probs yet, turns free).. want to walk me through it?

oh and how do you like your bike? notice anything else that needs attention? email me tojcic@rogers.com

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Greasing the stearing stem is easy, it takes longer to take it apart then to actually grease it. I've done it on all my bikes when I get them, new or used. Take off the front wheel, disconnect the brake caliper, take off the fender, then pull off the forks, one at a time. Be careful when you loosen the last pinch bolt on the forks because it may slip through and hit the ground. Take off the bars, but just lay them backward or forward, to get them out of the way. No need to take off the clutch or throttle goodies. Loosen the top nut that holds the upper clamp. Take it off then loosen the notched nut that holds the lower clamp assembly. Be careful that it also dosen't fall through out the bottom, it can happen. I clean the entire bearing, upper and lower, and the chase for each. Make sure they are clean, no dirt or grime, then regrease using some good water proof stuff, white, etc... Put it back together and be carefull about how tight you apply the first notched nut. it's just beyond hand tight, needs to have some movement and not stick. Put the upper clamp on, checking the movement after you torque it down to specs, sometimes it tightens the lower nut causing it to tighten. Oh, before you tighten the top nut, insert the forks so the clamps line up. Torque them to specs, very important so as to not pinch the inside of the fork tube with too much muscle on the pinch bolts! Put it back together, good to go. Follow the torque specs on those bolts, it's important.

If you've already done the rear linkage, being sure to attend to the swing arm bolt, that should cover it. Maybe go through and spray some anti seize on your spokes, helps down the road to stop sticking. Retighten them on a regular basis too.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks a4.. will do it after this weekend..

another question - i have renthal adjustable bar mounts on my bike for oversized bars and i find it really hard to get the nut under the upper triple clamp.. is there a secret to it? is it easier to take the clamp off then work on it?

thnks

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah, take off the mount, that way you won't booger up the nut. Just mark your bars to the mount so you can find the sweet spot easier. ;)

Top Bottom