penche99

Aug 1, 2006
By the way hello to all, new here and posting for the first time. I own a 2001 CR 250 and I'm preparing myself to perform a top end soon. I have the manual and have been reading it religiously. Since the manual doesn't state clearly my question is. Is it necessary to remove the complete power valve assembly including all moving parts from the cylinder to rebuild my top end. If the assembly still moves smoothly can I leave the power valve in the cylinder and clean it installed with carb cleaner and a blow gun? Then perform the proper lubrication(hey watch your mouth :) ) to the the power valve and make the adjustment as stated in the manual. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
You can pull the topend and reinstall it w/o pulling the powervalve. But, If I were you I would pull the powervalve and clean it good . It is realy not hard at all . And it will help the overall performace being good and clean.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You can do a top end job without removing the power valve assembly from the cylinder.

The Honda powervalve is very easy to work on. IMO you might as well dis-assemble it and clean as necessary. If you have a shop manual it will walk you through it.

ETA - Whoa - looks like Pete posted while I was typing!

penche99

Aug 1, 2006
Ok I see where you guys are coming from. My concern was with the sub exhaust valve shaft being to difficult to remove. As the manual says its hard to remove the sub exhaust valve shaft from the sub exhaust valve. Can the valve be pulled out along with the shaft from the cylinder? Any tricks or tips in this area. Thanks inadvance

Top Bottom