Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
A quick video from a couple weeks ago in Southern Wis (Union Grove) where there is an annual cruise-in for fast street cars.

To park under the canopy you have to be able to run an 8 sec 1/4 mi. There are alot there than can do that as well.

This year a couple car showed up that are questionable to their street worthyness but its still cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPiN_GgPSc

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll have the Silver Chevy II/Nova please.
Thanks you many.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Offroadr said:
This year a couple car showed up that are questionable to their street worthyness but its still cool.

The red '62 Twin Turbo Impala at the 6:00 mark in the video has put up the following numbers:

Quickest et: 6.504 sec. Fastest mph: 221.42 mph

That's my kinda street car :yikes:

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okiewan said:
I'll have the Silver Chevy II/Nova please.
Thanks you many.
Okie, that's the one that really got my attention. Nothing like the sound of some hi-lift cams lopeing along. What would a group burn out rate on the richter scale?
BTW, I really liked the Chevelles. :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I wanted to see some of those guys launch them things! Put the wheelie bars to use!!!!

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Cool stuff.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice there wasn't any Road Runners, Chargers, Challengers, or even a GTX??? :(

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Cant wait next summer.
Am in the building on an all forged sbc 4-71 supercharged engine for my 80 z28. Should be fairly fun for me, otherwise ill add some nitrous :).

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Mully said:
Cool stuff.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice there wasn't any Road Runners, Chargers, Challengers, or even a GTX??? :(

I did notice it was about 95% Chevrolets. Would have loved to have seen more Fords and Chrysler products--but hey, they were all cool!

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Mully said:
Cool stuff.

But there was a Mopar!

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Rich, that is nice! How about a station wagon that runs 7s on DOT street legal tires?

Guss_Car_show_09_199-1.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Offroadr said:
But there was a Mopar!

Yeah, I think it was a early 60s Savoy or maybe a Sport Fury, either way it was my favorite from the video. :cool:

Chevys. pfffffttttt, might as well be a total wuss and ride a KTM too. :nener:

Offroadr said:
How about a station wagon that runs 7s on DOT street legal tires?

Very cool :cool: The perfect car to ensure you get the ice cream home from the grocery store before it melts. :yikes:

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
8 sec or better1/4 mile cars? :yikes: Wow, that will pin you in your seat ...

Reminicsing - I did have a 1970 454 LS5 Chevelle, 4 speed (purchased in 1978?). I bought it from a lady who didn't have a clue about it - she let her basement renters drive the car (it was just an old car anyway). When I drove it home, I noticed a vibration at the stick shift. I later discovered a twisted and bent driveshaft.

Eventually, I was racing someone up a hill, lost control and hit a telephone pole - totaled it (hey, I was about 22 then). Oh well, I guess I made those cars even rarer and I did win. Everytime I see those Mecum auctions, I wish I had that car back.

Then there was the time I rebuilt that '70 340 Duster and added performance stuff and .. ahh nevermind .... the past is past ... ;)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Way too cool. I had several muscle cars in the late '70s that would now be worth a small fortune. Of course I sold them all for peanuts. But the one that hurt the worst was a '67 GTO that had a spun main bearing I couldn't afford to fix anytime soon. Not a dent in the car and a friend talked me into selling it to him for $50. Ouch. He worked at a machine shop and had the car running in the low 11s on slicks by the time he was done (of course anyone who later wanted to restore it would have had to found new rear wheel wells and weld them back into place). That was the fastest car I ever rode in. I can only imagine the neck-snapping power of a 7 or even 8 second car.
My wife wants a '70 or '71 Chevelle and I would love to restore one for her. But I look at crunched, rusted out buckets of junk that people want $5,000 or more for.............sigh

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Ouch Rich :)

For the Chevelle lovers I am in process of going through the '66 that I have owned for many years. Its getting many updates and ran 10.80s in its previous config. I am hoping to better that and make a better working car.

trunk.jpg

interior.jpg

046.jpg

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Me like Chevelles!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I like Jay's Chevelle too, in spite of it's negligible Chevrolet heritage. :nener:

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Gotta love the 60s/70s........10 second cars w/4 wheel drum brakes! :whoa:
Drum brake can be changed over disk brake.
What suck is not having a powersteering and a powerbrake.
Must hold yourself on the wheel to push on the brake pedal hard enough to stop with hope you do not have to turn at once ;)

Being a chevy fan, i like more they 70-80 stuff
Once my new engine build, should be around 600hp at the crank.. without nitrous.
heres mine 80 z28:
cam_0208_575.jpg
cam_0211_124.jpg

Last edited:

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
Cool Mathd!

Joe, you would be surprised how well they work. I had no issues slowing down from a 122mph pass and making the first turn off in a 1/4. But with that being said, I just upgraded to a Wilwood 4 piston kit in front. You can be sure none of those 8 second cars are running drums. :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, I know they're functional as long as they're well maintained......but most of the ones I've driven weren't. They work about as well as K-Mart bicycle brakes, lol. Modern disc brakes are MUCH better for sure!

I love how the camera gets all blurry at the end of that run. :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Dang, this makes me want to go sniff some nitro-methane! I think a Saturday night at the drag strip is in the near future, me like mega HP!

Top Bottom