JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
What do you guys do with your suspension and do you go both ways ( shutup Carlo ), do you set your bike up for motrad only with 17's and leave it only for SuMo riding or do you just run 17's so you can put back on the 21/18 and still go OB.

I want to try this, but I still want to go in the dez

Thoughts

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
JPIVEY said:
What do you guys do with your suspension and do you go both ways ( shutup Carlo ), do you set your bike up for motrad only with 17's and leave it only for SuMo riding or do you just run 17's so you can put back on the 21/18 and still go OB.

Thoughts

The event I rode had a sportsman class (a common Supermoto class), where you're forced to ride with a stock 21" front wheel. Knobbies were allowed (a few people ran them, including me). Rules seem to differ from track to track (Grange doesn't allow knobbies). Street or dual sport tires are available for nearly all sizes of rims, including 21", 19" and 18", and are much recommended over knobbies.

You don't need to invest big to get started. A catch bottle for carb hoses is commonly required.

The biggest pain would be swapping tires back and forth (if you compete in the Sportsman class). The events at Buttonwillow may allow knobbies (not sure), but your rear knobby would be toast after the event anyway.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
where you're forced to ride with a stock 21" front wheel.

Wow, that's too bad, that would take all the fun out of it, but it sounds like I could leave the gearing and suspension alone and just switch wheels and Tires.

Thanks Ron

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
JPIVEY said:
What do you guys do with your suspension

Thoughts

Jim.

I'm going through the same thing. I'm setting my CRF450 up to do some motard and also some flattracking. I have a set of 19" wheels for it.

It seems that the soft suspension that we use for trail and MX is too soft for motard or FT. The bike wants to hop coming off of the corners. Constantly wanting to highside. :yikes:

By lowering the suspension and making it stiffer, it takes the hop away.

To do this right, you really need two different set-ups. Or, two different bikes. :ohmy:

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey Terry

I just picked up a 01' 426 and I was thinking the same thing, about two different setups, (can't afford 2 bikes right now unless I can find another deal like this one ) the suspension now is setup for Desert, so That's going to be even softer.

I think for now I'll watch and learn and keep my eyes open for a second setup, I have a lead on a 440 motor which I'm thinking of going with and then get the 426 done to 440 also for backup.

But that's is looking to far ahead, right now I have a Garage full of parts to deal with first.........This is some fun shhhhtuff

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Malcolm Smith's Motorsports has a new KTM 450 motard bike for sale (specifically built by KTM for motard). I wish all dirt bikes had this kind of seat height.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I was at Larry Roeselers shop yesterday and he has one in his showroom also. What a great guy! He stopped and chatted with my son and I while I drooled over a new 525M/XC. Someday....!!!!!

Top Bottom