jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, my adopted son is living with us now and his sister will be coming down in a couple of months. It's time for us to get rid of my Silverado (bucket seats so will only safely hold two people) for something more passenger friendly. I want something big and have found a '96 Ford Bronco with the 351 Windsor 140,000 miles Eddie Bauer that is in excellent condition for $7000 (blue book looks to be about $5600). He just had the starter rebuilt, oxygen sensor replaced, has the maintenance records for the last 5 years (including tranny servicing twice)....and he's an old guy. He says he only used it for traveling with his family to Ole Miss games and has only had it in 4wd once. It looks like it too. No scratches in the factory paint, no dents, and no rust. BUT, he says he puts about half a quart of oil in it between oil changes. I'm fairly confident that if needed I can pull the heads and drop them off for valve jobs etc. Although I'm not capable of pulling the motor for rings. Trying to decide if this is a good deal or not. I'd like to get out from under a vehicle payment and buying this thing will do it. I've always loved the broncos and seems like most of the people that have owned them have loved them as well (except for the gas milage 14-17 mpg). I've got to have some kind of SUV for hauling the family, the dog, and the trailer and this one is bad to the bone!
Just trying to see what everyone else thinks of the these trucks, and if this sounds like a wise decision or not. You guys are members of my family too so your opinions DO matter! Thanks!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
1/2 a quart between oil changes with a 140K is nothing to worry about. My '97 F150 has 190K and uses 1 quart over 5K miles.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
IMO, Ford makes good trucks. They are reliable and rugged. Every vehicle with 140,000 will experience problems, but the Bronco should hold up well.
The only thing I am concerned with is your level of confidence. If you can remove the heads, pulling the motor is a cake walk. You can do it if you need to.
Sounds like a clean truck. Try and beat him up on the price as much as possible, then go for it. My .02 YZ165

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
My dad had owned quite a few Bronco's over the years, and has found them extreemly reliable.
I have a little one (B-2) but am sorta on the lookout for a full size as well.
If my little V6 does well -w- 140,000 that 351 (a powerhouse by the way) ought to be fine.
Might want to get it checked by a mechanic though. JIC

Although.......................14 to 17 miles per gallon?
with a 351????
(snicker, giggle, snicker)
yea yea sure sure. :laugh:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
What are you going too be towing w/the Bronco?? I would be somewhat concerned towing with a short wheelbase.. 7k sounds kinda high, i let go of my 1990 F350 (about 175,000 miles) for 5k, i'd work on the price some..
Rick

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
14-17 seems to be the norm on epinions (about 230 different Bronc owners...17 highway, 14 city). Naturally if you've got a lead foot those numbers will probably drop. We're buying an 8 foot or so enclosed trailer for our bikes, and also to carry household goods when we move (which happens every 18-24 months). Probably never more than 2000lbs or so (not including the trailer). Like I mentioned, Kelley Blue Book has it at $5500, we're going to offer $6000 but probably won't go any higher than $6500.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Anyone know if these engines have cam chains or the belt? My father-in-law is concerned that they may have the flat head design that allows the valves to punch holes in the pistons when they jump time. I've not looked into it on the web and certainly haven't read that this may be problem.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Timing chain. It is not an interferance engine.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Darn good vehicles! I bought a late '95 in '96 off the show room floor that I told my wife she could drive for 1 year and then we'd be in shape to buy her and car she wanted. She fussed about it for 2 days and by the 3rd day she told me I wasn't getting it back.... ever. The truck now has 130K on it and is a part time driver as her commute is now 42 miles each way so she has a CR-V for that. When we looked for a new rig she refused to let the Bronco go so we bought a disposible car for a commuter. We haven't had a lick of trouble with it (knock on wood) and it get's a pretty solid 15mpg and will burn 1/2 quart between changes. The 351 is a great engine and suited to the big Bronco really well. The transfer case is the only possible issue as the 1356 has the possibility of the pump coming loose and taking out the whole shootin' match. A transfer case rebuild would be a good idea on a used rig with 140K on it, I'm thinking about getting mine done for peace of mind as it's a lot cheaper to do it now. Get some good tires on it like Michelin's and a good alignment shop to set it up, a set (4 or 6 depending on the truck) of good gas shocks and it will be just about perfect for commuter duty. $7K seems high but if it's a solid truck not too bad because it's going to last. I had a dealer offer us $5K trade and my wife almost scratched his eyes out :laugh:

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
Good luck getting 14 miles to the gallon in the city! In the city I get about 350 miles out of a tank, with an exhaust and intake system. 400+ miles on the interstate, running 75mph. The only problems I have had with my '95, which has been in the family since '97, are the fuel pump and the starter, which just went out yesterday with 130,000 miles. My family uses mine to tow our popup camper which is pretty big and it tows fine both in the mountains and on the interstate. The front brake rotors are really freaking hard to change because you have to take apart the hubs to pull the the rotors and there are tons of little greasy snap rings and bearings to get confused with! I am not sure what you have heard, but I have heard when the motor reaches just over 200,000 miles, it is about time to rebuild/replace it. It is a really fun truck to drive, it is very rare to see on in good condition, mine has been stuck in mud once in a campground, and other than that has been off road maybe 10 times in all the years I have had it but the interior and exterior are both near mint other than general wear over the years. It is really worth slapping a flowmaster and some chrome tips on that truck, you will notice a drop in the temperature gage by a little bit if you need a reason to do it other than the amazing music it will produce for your ears!!! If I was to sell my truck, I would want to get 7,000 out of it too, but do think about the miles on it. Let me know if you have any questions about it, I know a lot more about my truck than I know about my dirt bike.

Top Bottom