Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Not A Chance.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Plenty of shelf roads like that in Colorado, I've been on most of them. That video shows some enormous drop offs 2000 ft or so, the ones in Colorado are more like 5-800 ft which will kill you just the same, just hitting the bottom a few seconds earlier.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
chance of death or serious injury is much lower.

We are a crazy bunch when we believe 100% chance of death is much worse than 75% ;)

Ah hell... it's only a 75% chance of death if you fall so go for it. Statistically it is much worse and statistically it is still a great percentage.

We are nutz.

Ivan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
truespode said:
We are a crazy bunch when we believe 100% chance of death is much worse than 75% ;)

Ah hell... it's only a 75% chance of death if you fall so go for it. Statistically it is much worse and statistically it is still a great percentage.

We are nutz.

Ivan

Agree, especially on the nutz part :nod:

Overall, I like my odds better on holeshot's trail, and I'd decline to ride MXSparx trail.

Here is my internal math:

Holeshot Video- Chances of crashing are <1%, but if I do crash, chance of death or serious injury is >99%.

MXSparx Video - Chances of crashing or going off the trail say 40%. Chance of death or serious injury in the event of a crash <10%.

Chance it will take me all day (or longer) to retreive my bike if I do crash: 75%

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
More proof we are nutz... yesterday the physical therapist made me a brace for my hand that supports my thumb and has a bubble around the pin.

I watched inquisitively as she dipped the black plastic in hot water, cut it with scissors and then molded it around my arm then going back and using a heat gun to smooth out the edges and mold the thumb area a little more.

So... today with a heat gun and hot water I customized it on my own b/c I didn't like how far down the arm it went. I also added a light wrist brace with a thumb wrap to hold it in place on my hand since the velcro straps they put on looked like crap.

Not only do we customize our bikes but we also customize and upgrade components on our recovery braces :)

Ivan

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport. It is the danger factor that brings many to the sport and keeps many away. If it wasn't dangerous, everyone would do it and they would call it Golf or sumptin'.... :nener: :moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
When I first started off road riding, I rode with a bunch of guys that were much older than me. They loved to take the newbys out and run us through as much scary crap as they could find. One place we rode was a area out near Lamb Canyon Ca where the hills were full of razorbacks. Not the wild boar kind but steep hills with narrow trails on the tops of them. Kind of like MX Sparx's video but much narrower. Some of the trails were only a tire width wide and had steep drop-offs on either side. You had to keep moving and concentrating on the trail because if you stopped, there was no where to put your feet on the ground. :ohmy: Didn't think about too much at the time because I was so young and dumb, the danger factor didn't register. Saw a friend fall off of one of them once and while it didn't kill him it sure messed him up.

I took a few riding buddies out there and some of them would never go riding with me again. Some wouldn't even return phone calls. :laugh:

Hey Rich. Next time you talk to Michael Crowther, ask him about the razorbacks. :rotfl:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ballinger Canyon area has a razorback trail (I call them the same thing). Not as narrow or intense as the MXSparx video, though, so it's pretty fun. Unless it's windy.

If you crash, your bike better not fall to the right. Or to the left.

Without thinking about it, took a guy with limited experience, going uphill. He did not have fun and it took him off his game all day long, but he still talks to me, ha ha.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I remember the Ballinger Cyn trails too Dave. We never rode the razorbacks when it was windy either. :coocoo:
At my age I don't think I would want to ride any of them anymore. The old body doesn't bounce like it used to. :yikes:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
:cool: Ummm, no face slappers!

Top Bottom