krushnburn

Apr 4, 2008
But why do SX bikes cost as much as a Maseratti???? i was reading a mag the other day and they featured the bikes of the pros, and most of them cost $80.000 to $100.000...

Im sure they are very different to a regular stock bike...but to that extent?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Sure..

I read somewhere that an engine built by Procircuit was about $10,000..

It's not hard to imagine that the rest of the bike is tricked out enough
to cost them quite a lot of money.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Exotic materials, one-off hand made parts, etc., etc.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Same reason a NASCAR machine costs a touch more then the Toyota you buy off the showroom. The body lines are the same but the similarity to the showroom ends there just as Windhams CRF450 is a bit differant then the one you sat on at the dealer

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
I heard at the x-games travis Pastrana's bikes were somewere around $100,000 and he got a new one every day or i should say every competition he did...

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
LEllis7motox said:
I heard at the x-games travis Pastrana's bikes were somewere around $100,000 and he got a new one every day or i should say every competition he did...

There are probably some people you shouldn't listen to.

Ivan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My understanding that a large portion of that value listed for the bike is in the suspension. When they calculate a bike being worth 100k a lot of times the suspension is noted to be worth 30k+. To get to this figure they are obviously counting testing and R&D costs into that figure.

As far as Pastrana's x-games bikes, I'd be surprised if they are anything more than a stocker with an aftermarket pipe and really stiff suspension. Doesn't take a lot of Works unobtanium to approach a ramp at 40 mph and flip.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Several years ago I asked Larry Ward if he could be competitive in SX riding a stock bike. His answer was that showing up to a Pro SX with a stock bike would be like showing up to a NASCAR race with your grandmother's Buick.

ttoks

May 1, 2008
also takeing into account thing like titanium bolts with the centers drilled out to save weight, and things of that kind, lightening of engine internals, suspention R&D, engine R&D and cost's, it really doesn't surprise me how much they cost.

krushnburn

Apr 4, 2008
Chili said:
My understanding that a large portion of that value listed for the bike is in the suspension. When they calculate a bike being worth 100k a lot of times the suspension is noted to be worth 30k+. To get to this figure they are obviously counting testing and R&D costs into that figure.

As far as Pastrana's x-games bikes, I'd be surprised if they are anything more than a stocker with an aftermarket pipe and really stiff suspension. Doesn't take a lot of Works unobtanium to approach a ramp at 40 mph and flip.

That does make sense. They talked about the suspension setup A LOT and mentioned that was about 20-30k.

i understand that an SX bike and STOCK bike are that much different, like a NASCAR car and a honda civic, I just couldn't see where $100k were spent in a SX bike. Including R&D in the overall cost explains a lot.

By the way pred, you're right. the thread should have been titled "Forgive my lack of info."

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Im sure they figure in the cost to pay all the guys who spend countless hours designing, testing and modifying components. Just thier time is probly a huge expense.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
ttoks said:
also takeing into account thing like titanium bolts with the centers drilled out to save weight, and things of that kind, lightening of engine internals, suspention R&D, engine R&D and cost's, it really doesn't surprise me how much they cost.
Saw something interesting on that recently. The guy opens a very small drawer of titanium nuts and bolts and said you were looking at 20 to 30k just in titanium. Seems the 20 and 30,s add up quick.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom