Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
I have to replace my fork seals, should I also replace the bushes while I have the forks apart? How do I know if the bushes are shot?

If I am replacing should I use OEM or is there a better product?

The bike is a '98 KDX 220, ridden mostly sandy trails.

Thanks

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Bushings wear in serval major ways.

1.) Damage during disasembly. If the edges are rolled over then they need to be replaced. (using a little heat on the tube will help tremendously)

2.) Look for spots wear the teflon composite has been worn through. (Brassey spots) This will need to be replaced.
(Time an fork bind will do this)

3.) Look for smeared areas where the teflon is gone and your down to the brass.. Check for dents in the tube that will do this. Replace.

4.) Check for very worn bushing shoulders. This is from the bushing rocking durring normal use.

This should help.

Regards,
Jer

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
Thanks for the advice

Thanks Jer,
On one side there is brassy ring worn right around the bushings and on the other is a greyish material - is this the teflon?. I think I must of damaged them on the way out as the grey material looks abit ragged on the edges. I'll try the heat thing next time now I know. On one of the bushings it looks like the teflon has bubbled, yet it still feels attached to the bushing. What would cause this?

There was also crud in the oil that looked like the teflon material on the bushing.

Should I be applying heat when reinstalling?

Thanks for the advice.:)

Top Bottom