bobthedog

Nov 27, 2002
Can anyone advice me,
I'm running stock forks and I'm finding that they are to soft under heavy breaking. I can't afford new springs as I've just payed out for this new 220r. I read that i can adjust them but have no idea on how to do this. HELP....! Which screws,top-bottom of forks,which way clockwise or anti.

If anyone can help would you make it simple !

CHEERS

PAUL THE WELSHMAN

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
You should get the springs soon, but you could also add some preload if your static (unlayden) fork sag is beyond 3/4". It s not a substiture for the right springs. The fork adjusters are rerebound only, so don't expect much improvment with the brake diving.

bobthedog

Nov 27, 2002
Thanks but as I'm a novice , how do I add preload to the forks ? I'm OK with a tool bage but not great............... would you keep it simple.

THANKS

PAUL

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
If you find you need more preload, there is metal spacer under the fork cap sandwiched between The

G. Gearloose

Jul 24, 2000
Pardoned me, continued..

between the fork spring, some washers and cap. This spacer may be replaced with a section of similar diameter PVC pipe, squarely cut to a longer dimension, and reinstalled. This method will need to be repeated when new spings are installed.

Replace your fork fluid soon and often, many here like synthetic ATF.

Not to beat a dead horse, but new springs are superior, and xr400 fork springs have been given big thumbs-up.

Search for previous topics for a wealth of info.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I don't know how "handy" [hope that doesn't mean something bad in your language] you are, but I removed the small screw in the middle of each fork caps and installed a mini tube fitting for 1/8" tubing. The #10-24 thread was a perfect match for whatever metric thread is there. I took a small 0-12 psi pressure gauge and screwed it into a "T" fitting, silver soldered the stem from an old inner tube into the T and ran the flexible tubing from each fork leg into the T. Using my tire pump I can quickly vary the pressure from 0 to about 5 lbs. It acts as a variable rate spring and you can tune it for the type riding you are doing. If you are going really fast [not a good idea on a KDX] the air warms up, expands and the pressure goes up a bit. This is actually good as you want it a bit stiffer at speed but you can just bleed off a bit if you choose. Having the gauge there is the important thing as you get to know what pressure works best for what conditions. I'm really quite pleased with the "tuneability" of the system. You could never tune a steel sprung fork so quicklly & easily. [Note: leave original springs in the fork] I'll post photos of my setup if someone can tell me how to post them on here

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hey rob...do we need to talk about the contaminants and moisture you're pumping into your forks? ;)

You can 'increase' the hydraulic action too by replacing the oil with something heavier than what's in there, AND adding additional oil. Rule of thumb is an oil level of 100mm (spring out, fork collapsed). Another 25mm of oil (level @ 75mm) would add a good bit.

This isn't much different from rob's air idea. Same sorta thing.

BUT.....do turn your clickers IN (CW as viewed from the bottom) as david said. You'll see (probably) a rubber plug in the bottom of the fork...up inside the large hex head piece. Pry that out with a scribe or whatever to reveal the screw that needs adjustin'. It looks just like the screw you see on the top of the fork.

Turn gently. You'll feel 'clicks' as you go. DO NOT FORCE THIS SCREW. I don't know how much of a 'torque' elbow you have...but if you tend to strip/break/goober threads, you'd best be darn careful with this screw!!! It's brass. It's easily adjustable 100's of times without a problem.

.....If you stripped your seat bolts the first time you cleaned your air filter, you need to be paying attention to this adjustment!! (don't laugh. happens all the time)

When the screw stops turning with gentle pressure...STOP turning it!!

What's on the forks....something like 17 clicks? Or is that the shock. I ferget.

Oh...make sure both forks are the same too!!

....but.....you need different springs! ;)

rob: As a subscriber, you'll have an 'attach' line at the bottom of a post that will allow attachment of a single pic (per post). You'll also have access to a photo album sorta thing where multiple pics can be placed.

bobthedog

Nov 27, 2002
Thanks for the advice,
I'll start by turning the screws at the bottom of the forks 3-4 CLICKS and take it from there..... 3months time new springs for me. I'm 105 kg which spring would you suggest.

PAUL THE WELAHMAN

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
105 x 2.2= 230?

It depends a lot on 'stuff'....style, comfort level etc. That's just you??...or with gear?
Just you, probably around .44s
If that's 'with stuff'...around .42s?

Just a WAG.

....Wild A... Guess.

BUT...ask a tuner. Try race techs site for their advise.

Hey...did I just spell something britishly???

Good luck!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
That's the nice thing about my "air spring" -- You don't have to buy several $60 - $80 sets of springs to find the one that you like. I probably spent less than $15 for the parts. You just vary the air to get any rate that you want !! It is a progressive rate however whereas [most] springs are linear.

CanCarver HELP again !! I'm a "registered" user - not a "subscribing" user and have no buttons or options at the bottom for posting a pic. How do I change designations ?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You change 'designations' by becoming a subscribing (paying) member.

Click on <upgrade!> on the top for 'how-to'.

If you poke around some other forums, you'll see that DRN is quite elite in a number of ways. Click on a thread for example, and the thread pretty much pops up (I'm on 'just' a modem myself...no dyno-whoppin bandwidth goin' on here). Some other boards I've been to the server is obviously having a hard time cuz it's SO dang SLOW.

Bandwidth=Money. Besides the time that okie puts into this thing, there is NO way he should be out-of-pocket for the expense of it.

....sorry for the spiel. Anyway, take a look at the <upgrade!> info.

;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom