goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I changed my fork oil tonight and it was a fairly easy job until I went to put the fork top plug back on the piston rod. The manual said to screw the top plug onto the piston rod but did not say if it should be torqued or not. My question is do I just screw the top plug onto the rod hand tight before tightening the piston rod nut against the top plug? When you do it this way there are some threads (3 or 4)showing on the piston rod, or in other words the piston rod nut is no longer tight against the bottom of the threads. Please let me know if this is correct I would like to ride with piece of mind tomorrow? Thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Put top cap on all the way on rod..... then tighten piston rod nut up against top cap bolt while holding top cap with a wrench. I use a 7/16th open end wrench as the "special" tool to hold spring down out of way.

Last edited:

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Braaph,
when putting the top cap on the rod do you just hand tighten? I am sure I have it all the way on the rod but it still leaves a couple threads showing on the piston rod. Is this normal? Thanks

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Yeah just hand tighten. And don't get carried away with torque when running the rod nut up aginst it to take up those showing threads.

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I wanted to say on my previous post that it leave a couple of threads showing on the piston rod after the rod nut is backed against it. thanks

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
as long as the cap is bottomed on the rod and the lock nut is snugged up to the cap ur all set.there r more threads on the rod than the cap and nut will hide

Top Bottom